Getting a tattoo is an experience that is extremely important and lasts lifelong. After going through the pain of choosing the perfect tattoo and getting it made on our skin, is it not important that we take proper care it? Yes, the aftercare with the help of tattoo sunscreen is an ongoing process that has to be done on a regular basis to keep the tattoo healthy & fresh.
Exposure to a lot of sunlight can fade the tattoo away or discolour the ink, as UV rays can degrade the pigment chemical structure. Hence, sunblock for tattoos is extremely necessary. Shedding of the skin of our body is inevitable, however, we can control the speed of shedding by making sure getting the best sunscreen for tattoos.
Skipping the sunscreen is a huge no-no in general. Any skin care routine will include a sunscreen and if you love your tattoos, then you do not want it to look dull and lifeless which is why we have curated a list of some of the best tattoo sunscreens for protecting tattoo from sun. Are you excited? Let’s get started!
Best Sunscreeen for Tattoos: Sun Protection and Anti-Fading Properties
1. Best Overall: CannaSmack Ink Guard
With the unique photostable UVB protection, your tattoos are bound to feel safe with CannaSmack Ink Guard SPF 30 tattoo sunscreen. This sunscreen is hypoallergenic making it safe for people with sensitive skin.
- Hemp seed oil, the main ingredient is rich in Omega- 3,6 and Vitamin A, B, D & E that provides hydration.
- Hemp seed oil reduces inflammation and nourishes the skin and also reduces risk of infection.
- The ink fade shield stick is amazing for small application and micro bladed eyebrow.
- Does not let your colored tattoo bleed or clogs the pores.
- Cruelty-free certified by leaping Bunny; is water-resistant and fragrance-free.
2. Best Tattoo Sunscreen Stick: Australian Gold SPF 50
Australian Gold makes sure to protect the beautiful work of art displayed on your body with its SPF 50 factor and also by providing moisture to the tattoo that brightens the colors. It works best when you apply 20 minutes before exposing your skin to the sun.
- The SPF 60 tattoo stick prevents ink discoloration and also protects the tattoo from fading.
- The stick is quite small so it is great for tattoos on area such as eyebrows or fingers.
- The sunscreen has a very pleasant smell and works up to 8 hours.
- Australian Gold is a cruelty-free brand that means their products are not tested on animals.
3. Best Tattoo Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer
Neutrogena has been a number 1 Dermatologist recommended brand for a long time now and this ultra-sheer, non-greasy sunscreen stick protects all parts of your body from getting damaged because of exposure to the Sun.
- It’s broad-spectrum SPF 70 protects the skin and gives a non-greasy finish since the formula is lightweight.
- Specially formulated with Helioplex, this sunscreen is extremely strong in protecting the skin against UVA and UVB rays.
- Suitable for all skin types, this non-comedogenic and PABA-free sunscreen is a miracle worker.
- Protects the skin from sun damage for about 80 minutes and is water-resistant when at the pool or at a beach.
4. Best Sunblock for Tattoos: H2Ocean Tattoo Care
Protect your body art along with other parts of your skin from excessive exposure to the Sun with H2Ocean’s Surfers Choice Tattoo Sunscreen Spray. Formulated with Tattoo Protek, this sunscreen makes your skin remain healthy.
- It is a non-scented, anti-aging sunscreen that leaves no oily residue.
- Dries in 30 seconds when applied And is suitable for all skin types.
- Your skin is protected from the harmful rays of sun over 80 minutes with this water-resistant sunscreen.
- One of the main ingredients is aloe vera and the formula is Reef-safe.
5. Best Suntan Lotion for Tattoos: Tattoo Goo Enhancing
Tattoo Goo Renew enhancing lotion with SPF 30 factor claims to be one of those revolutionary sunscreen lotions which will restore your black and colour ink if it’s used daily. In fact, it revives and rejuvenates older tattoos and keeps the colour of the tattoos vibrant.
- Spf 30 protects the skin from harmful UV rays and also promotes a faster healing time for the tattoo.
- Formulated with Vitamin A, D and E and also contains 95% natural olive oil.
- It is petroleum and lanolin-free and also does not clog pores.
- Provides protection against windburn, sunburn, scrapes and other cuts.
6. Best SPF for tattoos: Coppertone ULTRA GUARD
This Dermatologist tested, water-resistant sunscreen that works for 80 minutes provides the ultimate protection to your skin. Coppertone Ultraguard Sunscreen Lotion protects skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays that come from the Sun.
- Its broad-spectrum SPF 70 formula works really well to protect the skin from sun damage.
- Its formula is non-greasy and it hydrates and nourishes the skin with moisturizers and Vitamin A.
- Can be applied whenever you go outside and stays water-resistant for 80 minutes.
6. Best Affordable Option: Devoted Creations Sunscreen
Enriched with shea butter Devoted Creations Tattoo Stick helps in reducing the fading of your body art and also avoids discoloration of the tattoo ink. Enhances your tattoos and protects it from harmful sun rays.
- Protects the skin against UVA and UV B rays with SPF 50 blocking formula.
- The formula is non-greasy and is water-resistant and helps in moisturising the skin.
- Shea butter helps in keeping the skin hydrated and healthy and also does not clog pores.
7. Tattoo Guard Sunscreen: ProTan Ink Tattoo Stick
This sun shield stick protects the tattoo from fading and in fact rejuvenates the tattoo and enhances it making it vibrant. The fragrance of this stick is pleasant and smells like cotton candy.
- Its colour bright technology is designed in such a way that helps in renewing and brightening the tattoo.
- A travel-friendly stick that is always handy and is ready to protect.
- The formula is waterproof and sweatproof and also moisturizes the skin beautifully.
- Provides broad-spectrum SPF 30 protection with a non-greasy finish.
8. Best Moisturizer & Lotion: After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer
If a daily skin moisturizer that protects your skin from the sun and also protects the colours of your tattoo is what you are looking for, then After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer is the perfect product. It does not stick or stain your clothes as there is no petroleum in it and is recommended by World-Renowned Tattoo Artists.
- Works great on new and existing tattoos and can be used as a daily skin moisturizer.
- Formulated with grapeseed oil, this lotion effectively moisturizes the skin.
- It is Dermatologist and clinically tested, hence safe on all skin types.
- Free of petroleum, paraben, fragrance, cruelty, gluten and is proudly Vegan.
9. Tattoo Safe Sunscreen: All Good Tinted Sunscreen
A tinted coverage for all skin tones that has won quite a few awards is what All Good Tinted Sport Sunscreen Lotion is. The package is extremely convenient and can fit easily in a purse or a pocket.
- Formulated with mineral oxide and SPF 30, this sunscreen provides a light tinted coverage for any skin tone.
- Made with Organic green tea, buriti oil and Rosehips, this sunscreen is lightweight and non-greasy.
- Free of oxybenzone, gluten, non-nano and is Vegan, biodegradable and coral reef friendly.
Suggested Read: Best Soap to Use for Tattoos in 2020
Best Sunscreen for Tattoos – The Buyer’s Guide
Yes, there are plenty of products in the market that claims to protect your body art but there are certain factors that you must consider before choosing the best tattoo sunscreen: sun protection and anti-fading properties.
- Broad Spectrum Protection
UVA and UVB rays that come from the Sun both contribute to the risk of getting skin cancer. UVA rays associated with premature ageing UV rays are associated with skin burning. It would be wise to choose a product that is labelled as broad-spectrum protection as it would block both these UV rays.
In terms of form, there are generally two choices- lotion and spray. Many skincare experts and tattoo artists prefer lotion overspray as it is more durable and can be applied more easily by rubbing it all over the area.
3. SPF Factor
Skin Cancer Foundation recommends sunscreen that is greater than SPF 30 for best results as it provides almost 97% of sunblock. SPF above 50 more or less has the same effect as SPF 50 hence, there is no point in wasting extra money on higher SPF products.
Sunscreens that are non-toxic and that does not contain harsh chemicals is what you should be looking for. A sunscreen with antioxidants, vitamins, aloe vera and other nourishing ingredients will keep the skin healthy while protecting tattoo from sun.
Also Read: Best Outdoor Tanning Lotions & Oils – 2020
FAQs Related to Best Sunscreen for Tattoos
1. Is physical sunscreen better than chemical?
Chemical sunscreens use a lot of harsh chemicals that could provide non-greasy and non-chalky results but the ingredients could be harmful to our skin. It is best to keep it safe by opting for physical sunscreens.
2. Are lotion sunscreens better than spray sunscreens?
Many skincare experts and tattoo artists do believe that lotion sunscreen is far better than spray sunscreen as it is more durable and effective.
3. Should I apply sunscreen daily?
Yes, if you are constantly exposed to the sun, then, applying sunscreen should be a part of your daily skincare routine as it protects the skin from skin cancer as well.
4. How can I protect my tattoo from sun?
By daily applying sunscreen on tattoo, by keeping the tattoo covered, by using a good moisturizer after the tattoo has dried off, by drinking lots of water to keep the skin hydrated and by carefully following the tattoo aftercare instructions.
5. What should I avoid after getting a tattoo?
Harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances, scratching the tattoo, products with petroleum, touching blisters or breakouts, wetting the fresh tattoo before it heals.
6. Can I put sunscreen on a new tattoo?
The one word answer for sunscreen on new tattoo would be NO. It’s suggested to not apply sunscreen on a new tattoos. Let it take some time so that it get healed properly. However, if you feel that your tattoo is healed by now then get yourself the best sunscreen for new tattoo which we have recommended above in the list.
Also Check: Best Indoor Tanning Lotions – 2020
Just getting the best tattoo that you had in your mind for a long time and waiting for it to heal is not enough. You also will have to follow the aftercare instructions and take care of the tattoo so that you do not get any skin infections. Of course, you also wouldn’t be too happy if the ink fades away, hence choosing the best sunscreen for your tattoo And applying it regularly is a great way to keep your body art alive. The purpose of sunscreen will not just be limited to protecting your tattoo but it will also make sure that your skin stays healthy and remains protected from the harmful radiations of the Sun.