Pregnancy is one of those times in a woman’s life where they demand extra care – for themselves, and before that, for the child growing inside their bellies. However, during that care, one commonly overlooked aspect is the skincare of the mother, where side-by-side the health of the child is also sought after. In such a case, for skincare, pregnant mothers often tend to avoid any harsh chemicals which may have an impact on the health of the child. Hair products, in particular, are known to have a considerable impact on pregnancy, which is why a pregnant woman needs to be all the more careful about the shampoo product she is going to select.
Although one may be pregnant, one cannot deny the plight of stuck and dry hair. Hormonal changes underwent by the mother also cause strange developments in the hair, not all of which are tolerable. In order to properly deal with them, a pregnancy safe hair shampoo can be an easy resort. Although, in such conditions, it is recommended that you exercise caution and consult your dermatologist before actually buying the product. Keeping that in mind, we have here assorted 10 of the best shampoos for pregnancy available in the market, which a woman can select to stay clean and safe during pregnancy.
Best Pregnancy Safe Shampoos in 2020
1. Best Overall: Nine Naturals Citrus + Mint Shampoo
Pregnancy calls for a series of irritation and mood swings. Hence this lemon-scented mixed with peppermint shampoo is your ideal choice at such times since it will enlighten your mood with freshness. It is made with gentle chemicals which makes it safe for daily use. Some of the ingredients used in it are organic jojoba seed oil and shea butter which helps one prevent split ends. Indeed one of the best shampoo for pregnancy.
- Combination of citrus and mint gives a very refreshing feeling
- tested and certified safe to use during pregnancy
- Contains ingredients to fight nausea and fatigue
2. Pregnancy Safe Shampoo and Conditioner: Argon Oil Set
The best thing about this product is the content of Moroccan organic oil which gives it a great restoration formula. Another thing that makes this product special is that it can be used by both men and women – making it an ideal choice for other purposes other than pregnancy as well. Overall, the best pregnancy safe shampoo and conditioner available in the market.
- Can be used for day-to-day purposes
- Contains almond oil – good for soothing dry scalp
- Suitable for all hair types
- Suitable for men too
3. Best Natural Shampoo: Big Green Shampoo
No matter how much assurance a product gives you, it is never a 100% guarantee that it will be safe for you. Especially at times of pregnancy, taking extra care of yourself becomes important. Hence, this natural shampoo can be your go-to-choice because of all the natural ingredients it contains. Being organic in nature due to the ingredients, the product itself is friendly to most skin types and does not prove to be harmful to the people with sensitive skin. Definitely one of the top pregnancy safe shampoos.
- Purely natural product – no harmful chemicals
- The natural ingredients make it safe to use
- Contains aloe Vera which makes your hair soft and hydrated
4. Best for Dry Hair: Christina Moss Shampoo
To have a shampoo which contains no toxic chemicals gets a task. Hence, Christina Moss aims at giving a safe to use shampoo to its customers which contain all essential oils for clean shiny hair. No matter the kind of scalp you have, it can be your best shampoo during pregnancy. Especially for pregnant women, this product is safe and free of any harmful effect on the mother.
- Contains no harmful chemicals – safe to use
- It gives you a long lasting clean
- Perfect for pregnant women with sensitive skin
5. Safe Shampoo During Pregnancy: Love Beauty & Planet
This particular product is a combo of oil shampoo, along with conditioner, the target of which is to repair damaged hair of the users. However, the product would prove to be ideal for pregnant women due to the nature of the ingredients which have been chosen, such that they are not harmful to the sensitive skin of pregnant women. In addition to that, the fragrance left behind is also mild and natural, and not harmful in any manner. Overall, good shampoo for pregnant women.
- Organic ingredients – coconut oil and Ylang Ylang flower oil
- Product free of paraben and silicon
- Repairs hair and curbs hair fall
6. Best for Sensitive Skin: Tree To Tub Shampoo
This product from tree To Tub is one of the organic products where the majority of the ingredients used are derived from nature – all in order to make sure that the skin of the user does not suffer any unnecessary damage. Using natural products, the protection to the skin – of all types – is retained, while at the same time, the natural oils on the skin are also not damaged, maintaining the moisture barrier easily. Hence, it’s the best shampoo to use while pregnant.
- Organic extracts – soapberry, argan oil, and aloe vera, etc.
- Recommended by dermatologists as safe
- No age restrictions
7. Good Shampoo for Pregnant Ladies: Aveeno Pure
The Aveeno Renewal Shampoo contains sufficient nutrients to restore the healthy texture and balanced state to your hair after a few washes. The reason behind such results is the use of organic products such as seaweed extracts, as well as some other cleansers which are found in nature, however, the skin remains unharmed despite such use. The natural composition allows the product to be used with several skin type combinations.
- Maintains balance between skin and moisture
- Sulfate-free technology – gentle on skin
- Gentle effect on color-treated hair
8. Best Value for Money: Davines MOMO Shampoo
The Davines MOMO Shampoo has been modeled keeping in mind the needs of a dry scalp, as well as the dry and dehydrated hair. With the help of its organic substances such as Vitamin B & C, the product is able to effectively nutrition the scalp and also keep the hair protected as well. The MOMO Shampoo produces rich foam, however, at the same time, this shampoo to use during pregnancy also cleans easily, leaving behind little residue.
- Strong hydrating properties
- Contains natural extracts – for nourishment
- Cartucciaru Melon extract – for shine in the hair
9. Best Vegan Volume Shampoo: No Nothing Hypoallergenic
Unlike other cosmetic products, which are not compatible with your skin, this product does not contain in its formula any form of sensitizing ingredient which could trigger common allergies or sensitive reactions. The product itself is ideal for pregnant women because it does not contain any added fragrances, and also meet up the requisite features for an ideal shampoo.
- No paraben or added colors
- Designed to avoid skin irritation upon use
10. Shampoo & Conditioner: Puracy Natural Set
Started with the aim of making a product safe enough for kids, two best friends came up with the idea to design products that would serve this purpose. They clubbed with a team of doctors and chemists to make such household products safe for family. With no harsh chemicals, this product can be used by both men and women for all hair types. For those looking for the best pregnancy safe shampoo and conditioner, this is the best combo set you can have.
- It makes your hair stay clean for a long time
- This product contains no sulfates, silicone or any type of harsh chemicals
- Designed by tested doctors and beauty experts.
You May Also Like: List of Safe Face Washes During Pregnancy
Buyer’s Guide to Buy the Best Pregnancy Safe Shampoo
Products for hair cleansing often contain chemicals that can seep through the skin and often harm the growth of the baby inside the womb. These elements are carcinogens, such as sulfates, etc. That is why, to select a product which meets your needs, yet isn’t harmful, you may refer to the pointers mentioned below –
1. Scalp type
Finding out the grassroots of hair fall is very important since it is that which helps one understand the gravity of hair fall. Hence, you need to know your hair type otherwise no matter how costly shampoo you buy, you will never be benefitted from it. You can always do this by visiting your trusted dermatologist who will make you understand your scalp type. This will give you better clarity in understanding the right shampoo for your hair.
2. Type of Shampoo
- Every woman has a different type of hair from dry hair to thick hair to thin hair. Because of this reason every hair type needs a different type of pampering.
- Dry Hair – Dry hair needs moisturization the most. Hence you will need a shampoo containing essential oils which help to bring back the shine in your hair.
- Normal Hair – Normal hair usually faces the issue of scalp irritation. Medicated shampoo might be your go-to-option.
- Oily Hair – Oily scalp is usually a hoe to dandruff which is one of the major reasons for hair fall. Low moisture shampoo can be your choice for this.
- Thick Hair – Chances of thick hair to get dirty is always faster than any other hair type. Hence the conditioner is very important. It is best to choose a shampoo that will go with a good conditioner so that your hair is always conditioned and you don’t face any hair fall problem.
Suggested Read: Best Body Wash for Pregnancy
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Pregnancy Safe Shampoos
1. Is using shampoo safe during pregnancy?
The answer to this is obviously yes. There is no harm in taking care of your hair when you are pregnant. The only key to look for is the ingredients of the shampoo. Make sure you don’t choose a shampoo that has harsh chemicals in it otherwise it will result in severe hair loss.
2. What chemicals should one look to avoid while choosing their shampoo?
For this, one needs to make sure that they choose a shampoo that doesn’t have harsh chemicals in it. Make sure that before choosing your shampoo you see the ingredients. Your shampoo shouldn’t have sodium lauryl sulfate, paraben, phthalate, and synthetic fragrances since these are some of the very strong chemicals. It is always advisable to go for natural or organic products.
3. How often should one shampoo during their pregnancy?
There is no restriction on how often must one wash their hair. Obviously, you shouldn’t wash your hair daily also since it may result in hair loss. You can wash your hair every alternate day.
Pregnancy is not the easiest time for the woman – but there is a plethora of change that a normal shampoo can bring. Maybe it’s the greasy irritating hair, or the dry itch, the best shampoo for pregnancy goes a long way to giving relief to the user. However, these chemical components can be harmful, and thus proper precaution is advised before using any of the products mentioned above in the list, in particular where there are sensitive skins involved in the picture.