Concealers come in handy when we want that flawless skin and cover every little mark or scar present on our skin. Be it dark circles under our eyes, acne marks or blemishes, concealers can do the magic of hiding it all and give us that perfect look.
Depending on your skin type there are four kinds of concealer textures available: 1) Liquid Concealers, 2) Cream Concealers, 3) Stick Concealers and 4) Stick Concealers. Liquid concealer is mainly for oily to normal skin providing less coverage whereas balm concealer is for the same skin type with more coverage. For normal to dry skin, cream concealer is used for less coverage and stick concealer is used for more coverage.
Although, wouldn’t it be better if we are more conscious about the kind of products that we are buying? Many brands these days are going cruelty-free. Cruelty-free is the label on products that signifies no animals being harmed in making of the product, including tests on animals.
Some of the famous makeup brands like e.l.f, Pacifica, Aveda, Urban Decay, Tarte cosmetics, etc make products that are absolutely cruelty-free. So, here is a list of some of the best cruelty-free concealers from medium to full coverage according to different skin types that will help you in achieving flawless skin.
Best Cruelty Free Concealers in 2020
A) Liquid Concealers
If your skin is oily or even if it’s normal skin, liquid concealers are great for a sheer to full coverage, which is its main feature. liquid concealers are great for hiding dark circles under and above the eyes and to achieve a balanced skin tone. It works great with or without foundation. remember, if you have very dry skin it would be advisable to not go for this concealer as the matter finish may end up emphasizing your dryness.
1. Best Vegan Concealer: Beauty Under Eye Brightener
This 100% Vegan cruelty-free product will hydrate your skin and give you a youthful glowing skin. you can apply Pacifica Beauty Under Eye Brightener under the eye, by doting it onto the skin and blending it well with the use of your fingers or a brush.
- Made of natural Beneficial’s and brightening Minerals this concealer gives a youthful look
- Reduce the appearance of lines and dark circles with this concealer
- It’s brightening liquid coverage energizes the skin and gives a radiant appearance
- Has no presence of parabens, phthalates, petroleum, animal ingredients, animal testing, and mineral oil
- Be careful not to use too much of the concealer as it may get slightly creasy
2. Good Coverage Concealer: Concealer Wand
As the name suggests, this professional makeup concealer wand waves its magic wand and give a flawless finish concealing the slightest imperfections present on the skin. It does not give a cakey or an obvious look. just a tiny dot can cover a lot and goes a long way throughout the day without settling on any lines or wrinkles. Many consumers wish for a foundation that covers imperfections just the way NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Wand does.
- The color of this concealer is light beige and has undertones which are slightly pink in color
- Flawlessly minimizes dark circles and other spots present on the skin
- This liquid concealer is lightweight and can be used when you are looking for a medium or heavy coverage
- It has an emollient-rich formula which is is very concentrated that makes sure the concealer does not give a dry or cakey result
3. Best Full Coverage Concealer: Camo Concealer
E.l.f Is one of the brands that take pride in being cruelty-free. This is a concealer that can be applied to any skin type. using moisturizer and primer prep the concealer under the eye and with the help of a doe-foot applicator, apply it to the desired area. E.L.F is also the brand that believes in producing quality products at affordable prices hence this concealer will not cost you much.
- Gives full coverage if needed even though it is lightweight because of its highly-pigmented formula
- It’s a worldwide known 100% Vegan and cruelty-free product
- parabens triclosan, triclocarban, ethoxylates, hydroquinone, phthalates, and nonylphenol are not used to make this product
- It is a multi-use product which provides full coverage to contour, correct, conceal and highlight flawless skin
4. Best High Coverage Drugstore Concealer: Bareskin Serum
This is a concealer that is easy on the pocket and gives a silky-smooth, full coverage while reducing imperfections present on the skin and balancing out uneven skin tones. The color of bareMinerals serum light concealer is light and works its magic around dark circles and discoloration.
- A silky-smooth, complete coverage, concealer, and serum formula
- It instantly reduces the appearance of dark circles, discoloration, and other imperfections for a beautifully even-toned complexion
- It provides younger-looking skin
- With careful application and a little primer, it does not appear cakey and does not crease on fine lines wrinkles or crow’s feet
5. Best for Masks/Circles/Spots: Urban Decay
Urban Decay has come up with this amazing Naked Skin Color Correcting fluid which gives perfect skin making it radiant. Their different shades are used to target different kinds of concealing requirements. The formula is lightweight which makes it easy to use and blends in naturally, irrespective of how much you apply.
- With every application, you get smooth skin because of its special pigment technology
- The presence of antioxidant-rich Vitamin C and Vitamin E conditions and protects the skin
- You can apply it without carrying a brush as the modern flocked applicator helps in picking up and laying down just the right amount
- The peach shade works its magic on dark circles, veins and intense discoloration and dark spots
- For deeper skin tones, this concealer is more ideal especially for blue-hued dark circles
6. Best for Fair Skin: No Filter Matte
This no filter matter concealer from Colourpop is ideal for very fair skin tones. you can instantly cover, contour, conceal with its long-wearing application. If you are looking for full coverage, then this is your go-to product. And yes, it is made of vegan formula and is absolutely 100% cruelty-free.
- Concealer or cover your blemishes redness dark circles and discoloration using this concealer
- Provides full coverage and when applied it gives a natural look
- Its lightweight makes it easily blendable and gives a very soft blurring
- Can be applied under eyes as it is infused with Marine extracts to protect the delicate skin area
- Made of soft blooding pigment technology, this concealer will give you a flawless complexion that can last up to 24 hours
7. Best from Tarte Double Duty Concealer
Double Duty Beauty Shape Tape Contour concealer is one of Tarte’s iconic concealers and it’s pretty much sold every 12 seconds. The color is light neutral and would provide you with yellow and pink undertones.
- Mango seeds and shea butter helps in nourishing the skin and gives an illuminated skin
- Its flawless Matte finish covers all blemishes and spots one would want to cover
- Shea butter helps the skin retain its elasticity E and does not let the skin degenerate easily
- Mango seed butter is the vitamin-rich butter which hydrates, contains the moisture of the skin and protects the skin against damage
- Licorice root extract correct the color, evens the skin tone and reduces the appearance of dark circles
8. Best Natural Looking Concealer: Tarte Tape Contour Light
This is another amazing product from Tarte which is cruelty-free and no mineral oils, gluten, parabens or phthalates are used in the making of this concealer. This too is applicable for skin tone which is very fair and would provide pink undertones. It is advisable to use this product with a moisturizer.
- Ingredients like Shea Butter, Licorice root, Sunflower, Peony and Vitamin E are the natural enhancing formula
- Provides you with a long-lasting effect and stays fresh for a really long time
- Most products put a Shine to some extent but this leaves a matte finish which conceals eye bags and circles
- Could dry up a little fast hence using a moisturizer under your eye is advisable
This gorgeous 24-hour wear, which will give you an instant full coverage, and is super versatile and rich is what Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Crème light is. It does everything that a traditional concealer would do and also some more like covering blemishes, contouring and brightening the under-eye area. Lock-It Concealer Crème has one of the most extensive ranges of shades available.
- 100% free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates
- Complexion-brightening pigments are present in abundance along with ultra-nourishing Hydra-Boost Complex™
- This formula hydrates the skin and is crease-proof which is why it can be used for the delicate skin area under the eye
- The applicator has a tapered tip for being careful around corners and a white base to effectively apply on larger areas
B) Cream Concealers
Cream concealers have a thicker texture than liquid concealers and contain less oil. It is quite similar to stick concealer as it can provide medium to full coverage. If your skin type is ranging between normal to dry skin then cream concealers are what you should look out for. If your skin type is sensitive then look for a cream concealer that’s non-comedogenic, alcohol-free and oil-free.
1. Best Cruelty Free Eye Cream: NYX Professional Cream
This matte finish concealer jar provides coverage that can range from medium to heavy. Different ranges of skin tones can be accommodated by the shades of NYX Professional Makeup Concealer Jar. One of the best things about this product is that it is lightweight and does not form a clumpy or cakey result.
- NYX makeup concealer jar gives a natural finish look
- The area under the eye stays hydrated because of emollients present
- Its creamy formula stands up against the Enemies of unwelcomed imperfections
- It can be applied over makeup or onto bare skin and use your fingertips for blending
- This concealer can be used anyway on the face, even on the eyelids or under the eyes
- One of the best cruelty free under eye concealer out there
BareMinerals makes this correcting concealer with SPF 20 that is lightweight and provides light coverage, helping to give an even-toned complexion and reduce dark spots and discolorations. It is tested by dermatologists and is 100% authentic. This concealer can be used for casual purposes and gives the perfect color for warm skin tones too.
- A wonderful product for hiding acne marks, redness as well as other spots
- The formula is free of synthetic fragrances or artificial oils and parabens
- Just the right concealer that will not settle in wrinkles or lines and can be used by aged skin too
- If you find the concealer a bit greasy go over it with powder and foundation for the best results
As the name suggests obsessive-compulsive cosmetic skin concealer is obsessed with providing you the best way to conceal any imperfections on your face. The product is 100% vegan and has not been tested on animals which makes it cruelty-free.
- The products of Obsessive-Compulsive cosmetics does not include unnecessary additives and fillers
- With the absence of unnecessary additives, the term “pure pigment” gets a whole new meaning
- It is best suited for skin tones that are dark yellow-based
- Formulated with cocoa extract, Vitamin E and Aloe leaf extract this concealer hydrates and moisturizes the skin
- A small amount goes a long way and covers the hyperpigmentation on the skin without giving a caked-on or greasy appearance
Get a natural, glowing skin with unwanted spots with E.L.F. Cover Everything Concealer. The creamy formula of this concealer covers dark circles under eyes, scars, and discoloration. E.L.F concealers are PETA certified. It also neutralizes uneven skin tones resulting in a flawless complexion.
- Because of its lightweight formula, you can build coverage by applying a thin layer for light coverage or multiple layers for full coverage
- The cream concealer gives a bright skin and reduces discoloration, dark circles, and scars
- Comes in Universal shade range and its formula last for a long time throughout the day
- The easy to blend formula does not give a cakey appearance when applied
5. Best Drugstore Waterproof Concealer: Catrice Cream
If you are looking for a flawless complexion then Catrice Concealer Camouflage Cream is a true must-have. As the name suggests, all your imperfections like dark circles, unwanted spots, redness, scars will get camouflaged with the application of this concealer. The product is light beige in color.
- The texture of Catrice camouflage cream is long-lasting
- This long-lasting texture makes invisible correction possible by blending perfectly with the skin
- When fixed with powder, this concealer even gives a waterproof effect
- Provides a high coverage and covers irregularities of the skin, red veins, and pigmentation stains
6. Good Vegan Concealer: Alima Pure Cream
If you are looking for warm or beige undertones for light to medium skin then Alima Pure Cream concealer should be your go-to concealer. The creamy texture of this concealer gives a traceless coverage and enhances your skin. They too are a brand that is proud of being 100% cruelty-free and is made of a vegan formula.
- Ingredients like avocado oil, shea butter, beeswax, and tocopherol nourish and soothes the skin
- Dark circles can be minimized, redness can be balanced, blemishes can be reduced and hyperpigmentation erased with Alima concealer
- The formula is buttery and can be easily applied with a brush or a sponge or even your fingertips
- It is 100% free of gluten, fragrance, parabens, sulfates, and phthalates
- Echo is the shade which is perfect for light to medium skin with neutral or warm undertones
C) Stick Concealers
For a skin range of normal to dry, stick concealers are amazing when you’re looking for more coverage. Stick Concealers have a semi-solid texture, which is perfect for concealing little blemishes and means spots on the face. If you have oily or combination skin, stick concealers may not be the right choice for you and they can be heavy on your skin. They are also great for its practical approach as it can be carried in any bag, clutch or pocket.
E.L.F is a brand that is trustworthy when it comes to concealing acne spots, under-eye darkness, and discoloration. This concealer is extremely convenient for touch apps that are effortless and fast and can be used on-the-go.
- Provides a full natural coverage that lasts for a very long time even with a small application
- Gives a creamy, easy to blend in feel, which does not result in a clumpy or caked-on appearance
- E.L.F is proudly free from parabens, triclocarban, nonylphenol ethoxylate, triclosan, hydroquinone, and phthalates
- There are a universal range of shades one can choose from to conceal irregularities of the skin
The history behind Physicians Formula is endearing as Dr. Crandall started his line of products for his wife who had sensitive skin. The concept of physician formula is “Healthy Beauty” which means all their products are hypoallergenic making it safe for sensitive skin, eyes and is free from more than 150+ known harsh ingredients.
- Pigment loss and darkened age spots can also be concealed with this stick
- It has a creamy formula that is gentle and non-drying and glides on smoothly when applied
- Sensitive and combination skin need not worry as this product has been recommended by dermatologists, allergists, and plastic surgeons
- The color is light and can be used under makeup or on bare skin
This 16-hour full coverage concealer from bareMinerals is crease-proof and has a medium to a neutral shade. The concealer is waterproof and provides a long-lasting coverage with a natural-looking matte finish.
- The stick is Ultra creamy and glides on with no drag or crease
- Provides great results for under eye imperfections
- Antioxidant-rich seed oil from Raspberry, blackcurrant and sea lavender are some of the natural ingredients
- Pores and fine lines are smoothened by bamboo stem extract
- It is 100% cruelty-free and is free of parabens, talc, tree nut, synthetic fragrance, gluten or SLS
This trendy brand from LA is one of the most successful cosmetic brands which combines the latest trends from the Catwalk and the cosmetics industry. The formula is lightweight and lens in easily into those imperfections giving you a flawless skin that you have been looking for. Whatever coverage you desire, you may have it, as this concealer is quite buildable.
- The spread is easy and results in a matte finish
- It is great for people with light to medium light skin
- The concealer is a little thick so a blender brush can come in handy
- Dark circles and small irregularities under the eyes can be concealed easily and quickly with this Cover stick Concealer
5. Oil Free Concealer Drugstore: Tarte Amazonian Clay
A waterproof concealer that stays on for 12 hours and is made of nature’s most pure ingredient, clay could be too good to be true, but this is what Tarte Amazonian clay waterproof concealer is. The shade of this concealer is light and it easily balances and soothes the skin.
- Expertly conceals skin discoloration and imperfections in just one seamless go
- Minimizes the appearance of dark circles, redness, and blemishes with a matte coverage
- Extremely easy to use and the twist-up-stick helps in providing a thin buildable layer of oil-free Matte Finish
- This concealer is Dermatologist tested and is hypoallergenic
Dermablend is actually a Dermatologist created a brand that makes powerful makeup for all skin types keeping in mind safety standards and is non-comedogenic, sensitive skin tested, fragrance-free and allergy-tested. Hence, this non-drying concealer provides full coverage with a natural finish for even the most sensitive skin.
- Formulated with high-performance pigments this concealer stick is supersaturated
- It is the number one clinical concealer stick and is formulated for all skin types
- Acne scars, dark circles, and under-eye imperfections can be concealed smoothly by gliding this concealer on your skin
- It can last up to 16 hours when set with Dermablend Setting Powder
- Fingers, brush or sponge can be used to blend in this concealer over the desired area
D) Concealer palettes
If a quick fix for your skin is what you are looking for then a concealer palette is the ultimate make-up tool. The different shades present on the palette serve a specific purpose depending on your skin tone. Skin-tone changes that are seasonal, circles present under the eyes, rosacea, breakouts, and discoloration all require different color approaches and different coverage, so one concealer is not suitable for all, which is why one needs concealer palettes.
This palette by E.L.F serves many purposes for different irregularities present on the skin. The color is medium. The best thing about it is its convenient size which makes it practical to use and can be used on-the-go.
- Darkness present under the eyes and skin imperfections like blemishes can be concealed with buildable coverage
- The redness of the skin can be neutralized and under-eye circles are brightened
- The price of this concealer is pocket-friendly and it is travel-friendly
- Formulated with concentrated pigments this concealer is easily blendable, lasts long and gives complete coverage
A two in one concealer and pressed powder, this palette from BYS hides complexion imperfections perfectly. The packaging is light hence it is travel-friendly. Gives an Ivory color when applied and also makes the skin soft-as-silk.
- Creme concealer present conceals the imperfections present on the skin whereas the pressed powder sets concealer on the skin
- Ingredients present are skin-friendly and the conceal & set palette results in a smooth, soft complexion
- Argan Oil present boosts hydration of the skin and Vitamin E nourishes the skin
- This concealer is suitable for all types of skin and for different skin tones
- Skin-loving Mica gives the skin a very soft-as-silk finish
The 4-in-1 concealer palette from Physicians Formula is creamy and the green tone helps cover acne and red areas around the nose, which is quite a tough spot to cover. This product is 100% cruelty-free and no chemicals are used in making this product.
- The ingredients used are all-natural and organic
- The product is free of gluten, chemicals, and powder cosmetics
- It is suitable for all skin types, be it a combination or sensitive skin type
- Proudly free of Nanoparticles, Parabens, Oxy Chloride, Bismuth, Talc or other irritants
- Lower brow lines can be highlighted and circles can be hidden well under the eyes
Pacifica products are known for their commitment to cruelty-free products. Using this concealer would be the first step before the foundation to reduce blemishes and spots. The different shades neutralize redness and get rid of blue tones.
- You can be assured that ingredients that you wouldn’t want on your skin are not present in this concealer
- Free of phthalates and parabens and other harsh chemicals
- Works great on sensitive skin and acne-prone skin and diminishes acne spots
- The blemishes can be neutralized using fingertips or brush before putting on any other makeup
NYX offers a powerful professional makeup combination consisting of a contour, Correct and a conceal palette. The product provides a range of six shades of cream concealer which can help in covering up problem spots and fix the imperfections.
- Use this product to color-match the skin using the perfecting or coloring palettes
- Accentuate your best features using this product by highlighting those
- Built your ideal tone by mixing different colors as per your requirements
- Highlighting and sculpting the best features of the face is something this contouring palette does
- The shades are super buildable and you can get different coverage by building layers
Milani Conceal gives you the power to correct, color, brighten or conceal your skin with this concealer palette. With 3 balancing shades, rich in pigments, the kit can be used to camouflage blemishes and balance uneven skin tones.
- The different can blend in together to give the desired result or can be used individually for brightening or correcting the skin
- Can be used for brightening and lightening circles present under eyes
- Its balancing effects are appreciated by consumers and mostly used for brightening under eyes
- Most of the concealers are cakey but this palette does not settle on fine lines or wrinkles
Catrice offers an all-round color correction palette that provides a flawless and glowing complexion. This concealer follows the principles of color theory and has a color correction texture, which helps in balancing out skin irregularities and discolorations.
- It has a creamy formula which is easy to blend
- This has one palette and provides five unique colors and is thus ideal for all skin types
- This is a Vegan product and is formulated entirely without animal byproducts or testing
- The green shade of this palette balances the redness and gives a smooth complexion
- The pink shade is ideal for lighter skin types and minimizes dark circles whereas peach is best suited for dark skin types
Buyer’s Guide to Buy the Best Cruelty Free Concealer
With so many products that are available in the market, it may get overwhelming to choose the right kind of product. Concealers should also be approached with the same care and caution that one would apply for skin care as it works differently for different skin types. We know that there are different categories of concealers based on skin type, as in liquid or matte finish concealer may not be great for dry skin, or creamy concealers may not be ideal for oily skin. Not just skin type, but many other factors should be considered before you get your hands on the best cruelty-free concealers like:
1. Skin Type
Like mentioned before, different concealers will be suited well for different skin types. Dry skinned people should be avoiding matte finish or liquid concealers as it may emphasize dry patches. Although liquid concealers are buildable and are well suited on most of the skin types, even wrinkled skin or delicate skin areas.
Dry skin should also avoid cream-to-powder concealers as it may cause creasing. Cream concealers are used when you are looking for a long-lasting effect. Oily should be avoiding cream concealers though as the texture clogs whatever it is that you are trying to conceal.
It is important to choose the right texture and the right shade when choosing a concealer.
Heavy coverage-stick concealers conceal scars, redness, pimples, birthmarks or dark circles because of its creamy formula. These are handy and can be used quickly, on-the-go.
Medium coverage-liquid concealers are best for reducing puffiness under eyes and gives an even skin tone. Liquid concealers provide medium coverage and blend easily.
Light coverage—pen concealers are amazing for specific spots and semi-sheer coverage. Brush tips or metal tips make blending much simpler and can be used under eyes for reducing puffiness.
3. Concealer Texture
We know that there are four most important types of textures – liquid, balm, cream and stick consistencies. Irrespective of your skin type, there is a concealer for you.
Liquid texture is best for oily to normal skin for less coverage. It reduces minimal circles present under the eyes and redness for all types of skin. However, it may not be best suited for dry skin.
Balm Concealer texture is best suited for more coverage which is meant for oily to normal skin whereas Cream Concealer is for less coverage meant for normal to dry skin. Cream concealers have thicker texture and oil-free, non-comedogenic cream concealers are best for sensitive skin.
There is always time for indulging in luxury concealers, however, if the need is urgent and a quick fix is required, there are a lot of budget-friendly concealers available. Although, if splurging is an option, then opt for brands like Dior, Chanel, Cle de Peau. Urban Decay is one great example of a budget-friendly concealer.
5. Skin Concern
One must assess the needs of their skin and then select a product that best addresses the concerns. At times even just the foundation or BB cream is enough to reduce the imperfections on the skin, and concealer may not even be required. In order to cover spots and pimples and conceal the marks, opt for a concealer that provides heavy coverage and apply it on spots.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Cruelty-Free Concealers
1. What is a concealer?
Concealers are cosmetic products that help in blurring out or concealing blemishes, dark spots, acne marks, dark circles, evens skin tone and other irregularities present on the skin. The product works by blending the imperfection into the natural skin tone.
2. How to apply concealer?
Depending on the concealer, applications may vary. You can apply concealer on bare skin as well over makeup. Also, if it is a stick concealer than the application is much easier in comparison to other types of concealer. For some products, fingertips do the magic, whereas, for others, a brush or a sponge is required to achieve that perfect blend.
3. What does cruelty-free mean?
Cruelty-free is the label on products that signifies no animals being harmed in making of the product, including tests on animals. Any product that is tested on animals is not cruelty-free.
4. What makeup brands are cruelty-free?
Some of the brands that are proudly cruelty-free are Urban Decay, E.L.F, Malina, Physicians Formula, NYX Professionals, The Body Shop, Pacifica, Aveda, Tarte Cosmetics, Kat Von D, etc
5. Which are the different types of concealers?
The different concealers which are suited for different skin types are:
Balm Concealer: More Coverage for Oily to Normal Skin
Liquid Concealers: Sheer to full coverage for Normal to Oily skin types
Cream Concealers: medium to full coverage for Normal to Dry skin
Stick Concealers: More coverage for Normal to Dry skin
6. How to choose a concealer?
To choose the perfect concealer, you may have to consider various factors. Like we have mentioned it before, factors like- skin type, as different concealers will suit only a specific type of skin; coverage which ranges from heavy, medium to light; skin concern, in case your skin has some issue, then the concealer should not provoke the issue further, rather help in blurring the imperfection out; concealer texture and lastly it depends on the budget that you can afford.
7. What is the difference between concealer and foundation?
Concealer and foundation have its difference based on the application. Foundation is used to apply on the entire skin and even out the skin tone, whereas concealer can be used to even skin tone but is mainly used to blur out spots, under-eye circles, or blemishes present on the skin.
8. How to stop concealers from setting increases and fine lines?
Not using the product excessively on the skin and sticking to the right kind of texture will help in solving this problem.
Nothing can now stop you from achieving that flawless skin. With the right kind of concealer that caters to your skin type and takes care of those tiny little spots or acne marks or redness, you can now step out in confidence. This article has provided you with all the information you can find on some of the best cruelty-free concealers. The fact that you are looking out for cruelty-free products is endearing, as it is the need of the hour. It would not be fair to beautify ourselves and aim to be spotless at the cost of innocent lives of animals. Keeping the different factors that are best suited for the perfect skin, you are not too far away from getting yourself the best cruelty-free concealer.