Skin dryness and irritation is something you should never ignore. You need to treat it as soon as possible with proven ingredients and products. In this article, we are here to introduce and re-establish the benefits of one of the best natural ingredients for soothing and hydrating skin. Many of us even have an aloe vera plant at home. Its gel is what holds all the magical properties for a healthy, soft and beautiful skin.
Reasons to start using aloe vera gel
- Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that treats irritation and burning due to sunburn, acne, etc.
- Its 99% water content means it has excellent hydration and moisturization benefits
- Its light texture helps it absorb into the skin and clear the pores of impurities and prevent acne breakouts
- With loads of anti-oxidants and minerals, it heals cuts, wounds and other injuries of the skin
- It makes skin look younger by repairing age related damage and restoring skin’s elasticity
- When applied around the eyes, aloe vera gel can remove dark circles and puffiness with its antioxidant and vitamin E content
- While it is easier to keep using your home plant for its wonderful benefits, you would want a product that offers much larger portion of the gel, and without you having to go through the pain of cutting your beloved plant open every day.
Have a look at these 10 best aloe vera gels
1. Best Korean: Nature Republic New Soothing Moisture Aloe Vera Gel
Get your daily dose of moisturization with this Nature Republic New Soothing Moisture Aloe Vera Gel. It refreshes the skin and restores its youthful look with its rejuvenating and healing properties. You can apply this gel to any part of your body that needs the moisturizing and nourishing benefits offered by aloe.
- 92% certified organic aloe vera
- Deeply moisturizes skin and enriches it with vitamins
- Dissolves quickly and does not make the skin sticky
- Is great for soothing itchy and burning skin
2. Best for Dark Spots: Holika Holika Aloe Soothing Gel
Sunburn, acne, or irritated skin? Whatever may be your skin-related concerns, let this soothing gel from Holika Holika pamper your skin. Its non-sticky and quick absorbing formula reaches deep into the skin and treats all that is plaguing it. It also improves the appearance of freckles and blemishes.
The result is a refined, healthy and completely healed skin that you can flaunt without any worry. As a bonus, the bottle is interestingly shaped like a real aloe vera, so it feels like you are using the juice straight from the plant.
- Contains 99% aloe vera gel found in the famed Jeju islands
- Aloe vera leaf juice extract combined with phellinus linteus for enhanced moisturization, healing and softness
- Improves the appearance of allergic and spotted skin
3. Best for Hand Sanitizer: Premium Nature Pure Aloe Vera Gel Lotion
You can use this aloe vera gel lotion from Premium Nature all over your body minus sensitive areas. It has amazing healing, anti-inflammatory and skin softening benefits. Apply it all over your body after having a bath and say hello to a supple smooth and flawless skin.
In addition, you can use this lotion with other ingredients to make face masks, hair cleansers, hand sanitizer, etc. Aloe vera works wonderfully at smoothing and nourishing your hair.
- Softens skin without leaving greasy residue
- Use it on skin to treat common conditions like burns, itchiness and dryness
- Use it on hair to smoothen and condition
4. Best for Preserving Tan: Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Gel
The best remedy for burning and irritated skin, the Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Gel is a must have for people with sensitive skin. In addition to the soothing aloe gel, it also contains Cocoa Butter, Vitamin E, and Tea Tree oil. These are natural cooling ingredients for instant relief from sunburns and acnes.
It is difficult to build up a tan and you don’t want to risk a burn destroying your efforts. Use this product after each session in the sun to heal and nourish your skin to prevent a burn.
- Aloe vera, tea tree oil, and Vitamin E work together to give instant and lasting relief to intensely burning skin
- It hydrates sensitive skin after long sun exposure
- Light and non-oily texture quickly gets dissolved into the skin and work its magic
- It helps maintain your newly acquired tan by nourishing sun-irritated skin
5. Best Anti-bacterial: Derma-nu Organic Aloe Vera Gel
This is a 100% natural aloe vera gel which you can apply on your entire body and hair. This gel gives your skin and scalp a relaxing massage and soothe them with its therapeutic ingredients. This handmade gel works as a great moisturizer and healer. Furthermore, it is free of any artificial ingredients. As a result, it is good for all skin types.
Though it is thick in texture, it is quickly absorbed into the skin without leaving any oily or sticky residue behind. The other natural herbs and essentials oil infused in this gel give it anti-bacterial properties.
- This gel combines Aloe vera with tea tree, willow bark, peppermint, and other such calming herbs and essential oils
- This gel is rich in natural ingredients, and thus soothes, hydrates, treats and softens any kind of damaged skin
- It is a handmade gel with a non-sticky formula
- Protect your hands from bacteria without the drying effects of alcohol-based hand-sanitizers (note for the Covid-19 virus, you would still need to add sufficient alcohol to this gel for it to be effective)
6. Best for Hair: Lily of the Desert - Aloe Vera Gelly
This aloe vera gelly is made using the juice of aloe vera grown organically, i.e. minus any chemicals. It not only hydrates the upper layer of your skin, but 2 layers below it, too. Thus, after long hours in the sun, cool and deeply heal skin instantly by applying this gelly.
The special thing about this gelly is that it contains polysaccharides, an inner part of aloe vera plants, that enhances the nutrient absorption power of aloe and hence makes it more effective. This product is derived from organically grown aloe in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas and nearby desert of Mexico.
- Rich with polysaccharides Aloesorb for high nutrient absorption, toxic cleansing, and immunity
- Moisturizes 3 epidemic layer of the skin
- Free from harmful chemicals
7. Best Natural and Organic: Beauty by Earth Aloe Vera Gel
If you are prone to getting your hands, face or other parts of your body burned due to your recklessness, you need to keep this organic aloe vera gel handy. It quickly calms and cools burned skin, whether from prolonged sun exposure, while cooking, or from a disease such as Eczema. You can also use this to moisturize your dry skin.
- Offers quick relief from a sunburned skin
- Penetrates deep into the skin, instantly hydrating, repairing and cooling it
- If you suffer from skin allergies, deep cuts, burns, this gel is a great remedy
- Use to remove makeup without harsh chemicals
- Made using 100% natural ingredients
8. Best for Sunburn: Bahama Balm Aloe Vera Gel
This USA made aloe vera gel is a quick remedy for relaxing irritated skin and hydrating dry and parched skin. You can use it to moisturize your lips, soften and revitalise your facial skin or repair damages on your body’s skin. You can also use it as a conditioner to treat rough, dull hair.
This product is a good value for the price and is an excellent choice if you have a large scale burn. I recall quickly going through a whole bottle of this after falling asleep facedown in the shade of a tree and waking up a couple hours later in full sun…with my back as red as a lobster! This provided much needed relief for those first couple days after the burn.
- Great moisturizer for dry and damaged skin
- Instantly soothes irritated skin
- Useable externally on all skin and hair
- Note it does contain some alcohol, so consider skipping if you have very sensitive skin
9. Best for Face: Indus Valley Aloe Vera Gel
With rosewater and honey, this aloe vera gel will leave your face feeling soft, fresh, and rejuvenated. The anti-oxidants in the green tea extract in this gel help with acne, freckles and age spots. The natural ingredients and quick-drying nature of aloe vera make this appropriate for all skin types
This has the scent of Rose and Honey from the additional ingredients giving you a fresh, natural scent. However, if you have very sensitive skin, you may want to avoid these additional ingredients.
- Made using Aloe Vera gel, Rosewater, Wheatgerm extract , Honey, and Green Tea extract
- Calms sunburned skin
- Refreshes and hydrates dry and damaged skin
- Revitalizes frizzy and damaged hair
10. Best for Eczema: Premium Epic Organic Aloe Vera Gel
Replace your body soap with this purifying gel from Premium Epic. This gel is made from a blend of aloe vera, orchid stem cells, cucumber and apple stem cells. This combination gives it an unbeatable power to remove toxins and repair any kind of skin damage.
It increases the defense mechanisms of your skin, helping it stay healthy by fighting irritations from external pollutants. It also helps your skin fight dryness and itchiness with the naturally hydrating pure aloe gel.
- Contains pure aloe vera gel for deep moisturization and relaxation for dry and burned skin
- Apple stem cells and orchid stem cells heal skin and protect it against future damage
- Enriches skin with antioxidants for a healthy and younger looking appearance
- Used as a hand and body wash for deep cleansing and hydration without greasy residues
Your Ultimate Buyers’ Guide to The Best Aloe Vera Gels
A single product is not for everyone. Different skin types, needs, skin conditions, etc. make all the difference. When you start to look for an aloe vera gel, have a look at these points below to pick the best one for yourself.
Organic and Natural Aloe
When you buy aloe vera gels, you will have many options to choose from. Most of these are not what you are looking for. Many brands sell un-organic aloe vera gels mixed with chemicals. You will have to be very careful and see the ingredients to ensure the aloe vera gel you are buying contains real aloe gel minus any preservatives. The content of the gel should be more than 90% and rest should be natural ingredients that support aloe’s hydrating, soothing and healing properties.
What’s Your Need?
Different consumers need a single product for different uses. What do you need from an aloe vera gel? Different aloe vera gels are made for specific benefits. For e.g. if you are looking to replace your bath soap with aloe vera gel for treating your dry and irritated skin, you get aloe gel body washes for that. If you are looking for aloe vera gel for hair, there are products specifically for that.
Pick According to Your Skin
Though aloe vera gel is for every skin type, the mix of other ingredients can make it unsuitable for some types. Ingredients such as cucumber, tea tree oil, witch hazel, etc. are mixed with aloe vera gel to create different sets of benefits. If you have sensitive skin, you need to ensure you are buying a gel that has ingredients friendly to sensitive skin.
1. Can I use aloe vera gel on hair everyday?
Washing your hair everyday is not recommended as it may rid your hair of its natural moisturizing oils. Rinse your hair with aloe vera gel every alternate day or after every 2 days.
2. Can I apply aloe vera gel overnight?
Yes! You can apply it over areas that need attention and wake up to better looking and soft supple skin.
3. What are the benefits of aloe vera drink?
Drinking aloe vera juice gives your body the required minerals and vitamins to help it get hydrated and nourished. It also removes toxins from the body and treat certain conditions such as anaemia.
There are many wonderful aloe vera products available to cover all your needs. As such, you don’t need a green thumb and several aloe vera plants to enjoy the benefits of aloe. However, if you do have your own plant(s), below are some quick tips for different uses. You can use aloe vera gel raw or mix it with some ingredients to make a face pack, hair conditioner, skin moisturizer and more.
You just need to mix the aloe juice with water to condition your hair with it. Rinse it after leaving for 5 to 10 minutes.
Mix aloe vera gel with raw coconut oil to get an instant skin moisturizer.
Blend aloe juice with water and a dash of lemon juice for a quick, healthy detoxification drink.