More often than not you would read and find out about how important it is to understand your skin type before applying any product. There are a plethora of products in the market that are now available for all skin types, so when it comes to tanning, even if you do have sensitive skin, nothing can stop you now from getting that sun-kissed tan.
There are tanning lotions that may cause redness, rashes, irritation or give a burning sensation to sensitive skin, which is why it is better to invest in a lotion that is suited for such a skin type. Good tanning lotions not only give the tanning glow but also nourish and protect the skin. Some lotions are vegan, made of natural ingredients and some are made of hypoallergenic ingredients, but it is never a one-fits-all situation. Every skin reacts differently to each lotion because some skin may be more sensitive than the others.
A little bit of research is all you need and to help you out with it, here is a compilation of some of the best tanning lotions for sensitive skin. You know your skin type best, so choose wisely, start small with little application and in case of serious doubts, avoid buying the lotion altogether. Even if we want the best tan, we must remember keeping the skin healthy is crucial.
10 Best Tanning Lotions for Sensitive Skin
1. Devoted Creations #TANLIFE Hydrating Tanning Butter
#Tanlife is made of a formula that is great for dry and sensitive skin. The presence of shea butter keeps the skin hydrated and nourished. It can be used for indoor tanning beds and even older dry skin colors beautifully.
- Shea butter works great on dry skin and the formula is hypoallergenic.
- #Tanlife has anti-aging benefits with RevitaFit, Body Fit and Advanced Matrixyl Synthe 6.
- The ingredients present to keep the skin firm.
- Protects color and tattoo present on the skin.
- The smell is good and there is no tingle.
- There are no bronzers and gives a natural tan.
- Starts showing results with the very first use.
2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
Get the golden glow on your skin with Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion. The goodness of coconut milk and coconut oil is good for sensitive skin as it provides nourishment and hydration. It is one of the great moisturizing indoor tanning lotions for sensitive skin.
- No bronzing agents are used in this lotion
- Melanin production in the skin is done by quad tyrosine blend and melanobronze, which speeds up the process of tanning
- Melactiva synthesizes melanin and gives a long-lasting effect.
- The presence of coconut oil, coconut milk, and cocoa butter provides hydration and makes the skin extremely smooth.
- Best indoor tanning lotion for sensitive skin.
3. Beauty by Earth Self Tanner
Probably a degree in Chemistry will help you understand most of the ingredients written on the back of a tanning lotion because it is that infused with chemicals. Rated as the best tanning lotion for sensitive skin on Amazon, this all-natural sun-free tanning lotion will transform your skin into a gorgeous tan without tacky streaks, blotches, sunburns, and skin cancer.
- Vegan, cruelty-free and completely natural, this lotion tans all skin types
- Organic shea butter, organic coconut oil, and nutritive Japanese green tea extracts are the natural products used which nourish the skin
- A sunless tan without any exposure to harmful UV rays
- No stains and streak-free tan without hitting the tanning beds
4. Hempz Dark DHA Bronzer, Hypoallergenic
This bronzer soothes sensitive skin because of the presence of natural extracts of oatmeal and chamomile. Hemp seed oil is a unique ingredient in this bronzer that makes the skin nourished and gives the sensitive skin a dark bronzing effect.
- DHA and Natural Bronzers give a fast smooth color that increases over a period of time
- Skin feels smooth and moisturized because of the presence of pure hemp seed oil
- Sensitive skin gets its soothing and calming effect by the extracts of Oatmeal and Chamomile
- It is cruelty-free, non-greasy has a lightweight and the skin absorbs it quickly.
5. Bronze Tanning Lotion (Natural Caramel Base Tinted Moisturizer)
A tanning lotion that can be used in three ways – either as an accelerator lotion in the tanning bed or under the sun or as a sunless moisturizer that can be used every day or a foundation mixture which will give a gorgeous, sexy glow to your skin. It is not a self-tanner and gives a very subtle, streak-free tan without making you look like an orange Oompa Loompa. No dubt, it’s the best tanning bed lotion for sensitive skin.
- The ingredients are 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- A mixture of real caramel extract, coconut oil, and Mexican vanilla essence gives its signature scent
- The silky and smooth look comes from nourishing oils
- The nourishing oils are extracted from hibiscus, agave, and jojoba
6. Tanceuticals Facial Self Tanner
This is a self-tanning lotion that is made especially for the face and neck. It has received many awards and called the number one self-tanner by Vive Magazine and other beauty editors. Leaves your skin with a refreshing coconut scent that gets rid of that self-tanner smell which is quite unpleasant. The tan lasts for almost a week.
- This lotion does not clog pores or cause acne because it is non-comedogenic
- Vitamin E, Mango Butter, and Acai Berry are some of the healthy cosmeceuticals presents in the tanner
- The natural cosmeceuticals improve the quality of the skin
- Cruelty-free and no harsh ingredients are used like Parabens, Mineral Oil or Propylene Glycol
- Leaves no streaks or orange color
- Gives a natural tan without sun or tanning beds
7. Jergens Natural Glow + FIRMING Body Lotion
A natural tan that is streak-free and provides moisture to the skin is what we are all looking for. This works well for sensitive skin and makes it healthy by reducing the appearance of cellulite in 7 days. You can enhance your skin tone naturally by replacing your daily moisturizer with Jergens body lotion.
- Antioxidants, Vitamin E and coconut water hydrates the skin and moisturizes it thoroughly
- Cellulite reduction happens because of the presence of elastin, collagen and green tea infusions
- Since it helps in reducing cellulite, the skin becomes tighter and firmer
- Works best on skin type that is fair to medium
8. ArtNaturals Sunless Self-Tanner Lotion Set
Sunless tanners are really useful as you would not need to expose your skin to harmful UV rays for getting a tan. The Lotion consists of natural ingredients like plants and flower oil, extracts, shea butter and other natural ingredients which saves your skin from using harmful chemicals.
- This self-tanner gives a glow and conditions the skin with its all-natural ingredients
- The natural ingredients present are Safflower, Jojoba and Sweet Almond Oils which moisturizes the skin
- Antioxidants are derived from extracts of green tea and Vitamin E
- The lotion is ideal for all skin types and both males and females
- It comes with a specially designed mitt on how to use it, which should be followed
9. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion
This is one of the best tanning lotions for sensitive skin recommended by dermatologists, and with Neutrogena, you cannot go wrong. It protects the natural tan of your body because it’s formulated with broad-spectrum SPF 60+ that protects the body against aging UVA and burning UVB rays.
- The lotion is water-resistant and protects the skin from damage caused by the sun
- The effect of this lotion works for almost 80 minutes
- It has a hypoallergenic formula, which keeps the skin gentle and is effective on sensitive skin
- This lotion is free of PABA, Oils, and Fragrance which does not irritate sensitive skin
10. Botanic Tree Self Tanner
Say adios to pale skin with this organic self-tanner that gives your body an outstanding look. A vegan tanner that need not work only under the harshness of UV rays, that gives you a natural bronze look, is streak-free and is extremely gentle on sensitive skin is exactly what you need.
- Made of Shea Butter and 10 healthy fruits such as Jojoba, Avocado, Grape Seed, Apricot, Passionfruit, Grape Seed, Rosemary, Coconut, Vanilla and Moringa
- It is beneficial for both men and women and all skin types
- This is a lotion made specifically for sensitive skin or skin prone to acne
- You wouldn’t find stains in your sheets and clothes after its application
- Do follow the steps provided on the lotion bottle for best results
Also check: Best Tanning Lotion for Fair Skin (2020)
Buyers’ Guide To Self Tanner for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin requires a lot more attention than normal skin. While tanning a lot of factors are to be considered that will not harm the skin, which is why understanding the ingredients is important along with what kind of tanning suits your skin the best, and how to apply without reactions. Here is a guide that will help you with your research to find the best tanning lotion for sensitive skin.
1. DHA free
Dihydroxyacetone or DHA is a coloring agent that gives the skin a complexion that glows. Normal-skinned people may not react to this ingredient, but people with sensitive skin may flare-up. So, it is best to avoid it.
2. Patch Test
You have the lotion that you felt is right for your skin but it’s always safe to start with a patch-test. Applying it on your inner thighs, or any other inconspicuous area to test if it causes irritation, burning sensation, redness or any negative reaction is the best way to understand if it is the right lotion for you or not.
Avoiding fragrances and preservatives is best for sensitive skin. Also looking out for lotions labeled as hypoallergenic is safe.
4. Dermatologists Consultation
It would be wise to consult a dermatologist for your skin before you tan. They could help you with the type of tanning you should opt for. If your skin burns easily, then it is best to go for Sunless Tanners.
Suggested Read: Best Tingle Tanning Lotion for Tanning Beds (2020)
Frequently Asked Questions Related To Best Tanning Lotion for Sensitive Skin
1. What are some of the ingredients to look out for?
The safest option for sensitive skin would be to opt for natural ingredients like Shea Butter, Jojoba extracts, Olive oil, Coconut extracts, Aloe Vera, Oatmeal, Moringa, Vanilla, Mango water, etc. Look out for hypoallergenic products and products that have hydrating ingredients. It is best to avoid DHA, fragrance, parabens and other preservatives.
2. How to tan if I have acne?
With acne, it is best to get lotions that will not clog the pores. Choose lotions that are not greasy and are more lightweight. Apply sunscreen if you are tanning outdoors.
3. What should I do for getting a proper tan without harming my skin?
Exfoliation is an important process before getting tanned. Also, read the instructions and follow it religiously that the manufacturers provide. Always patch-test before diving fully in it.
Hopefully, this article answers some of your doubts and gives you that confidence to get a sun-kissed glow without the fear of harming your skin. From the list of the self tanner for sensitive skin, choose a product that suits your skin type after thoroughly going through the ingredients present. If you are hesitant about any particular ingredient, it is best to avoid it or proceed using it with a patch test, and in case of any negative reaction, stop using the lotion. If there is no reaction and gives you a beautiful color that you desired, then smile gleefully and show off that tan.