Beauty in the eyes has an entirely different story to convey, and for that, often cosmetic products can be necessary – to flaunt that array of emotions using the boldness of the eyes. Mascara is an under-appreciated segment of the cosmetics industry, but one that cannot be denied importance in entirety. Obviously, eye-makeup also exists, but the margin of error that it may go in the wrong direction is too high, and well, you would not want to ruin your special night looking haunted.
Instead, mascara adds that special flair to your eyes without causing too much hassle. But then again, it is not like choosing a product which fits your budget and needs is an easy aspect. Also, if you are out looking for a cruelty-free product, it’s not like such a thing is easily achievable. However, recently there has been a rise in the cruelty-free brands that do not test on animals.
Keeping in line with that need, we have here created a list of 15 best cruelty free mascara products that may be able to effectively assist you in your hunt for the right mascara. Read on to find the one which suits your needs and blindly buy it, for we are sure that in no way it would disappoint you.
Best Cruelty-Free Mascaras in 2020
1. Overall Best Mascara: Essence Lash Princess
With Lash princess mascara, false lashes are just a stroke away. It gives a bold look which lasts all day. It is ophthalmologically tested therefore suitable for wearers of contact lenses. This waterproof product with exclusive formula helps to strengthen eyelashes form roots to tips. Our princess mascara is absolutely gluten-free, so everybody can make the most of our staggering look.
- The product is 100 per cent gluten-free.
- Gives volume to your eyelashes.
- Gorgeous smudge-proof lashes.
2. Best Runner Up: On The Rise Mascara
This lightweight matte mascara equation volumizes eyelashes giving an instant dramatic look. The waterproof formula prevents it from fading. The unique round shape of the applicator is helpful in providing maximum lash lengthening.
- Gives a bold look.
- Innovative hourglass-shaped applicator.
- Provides instant volume and lift.
3. Cruelty Free Mascara: Tarte Maneater Volumptuous
The soft-flex brush assists in styling the lash with no chipping and amassing. The most unique feature of this product is its triple black formula gives 23 times more volume. With this, you can attain a fresh and natural look, every day!
- Customized moulded brush with flexible bristles.
- Its curl-lock formula is exclusive.
- Contains carnauba wax to lock in curls and evenly coat lashes.
4. Best Natural Mascara: Burt's Bees Nourishing
The distinguishing colour makes it suitable for all skin tones. Instantly beautifying Jojoba oil and naturally moisturising glycerine helps to make the lashes look healthy. It’s easily applicable on upper and lower lashes while the brush also precisely combs the lashes.
- Contains 100% natural nourishing ingredients.
- Available in two colours- black and brown.
- Creates a sensational multi-layered eyelash look.
5. Best Cruelty Free Drugstore Mascara: W3LL People Natural
Highly rated cruelty-free Natural Expressionist Mascara provides intense blackness without smudging. The thick hourglass brush gives a dense and smoky look. The gigantic shaped brushes store the ideal measure of mascara that allows for maximum application of mascara with each stroke.
- Composed of organic ingredients.
- Easy to use cruelty-free and gluten-free.
- Conditions for softness and flexibility.
6. Cruelty Free Waterproof Mascara: Essence I Love Extreme
Essence Cosmetics brings to you this long-lasting paraben-free mascara with intense volume. The tip of the brush extends length, creates curls and allows application to smaller hairs in the corner of the eye with precision. It is ophthalmologically tested and safe for wearers of contact lenses which makes it the best cruelty free waterproof mascara.
- Highly rated by customers.
- Waterproof does not fade or smudge.
- Separates eyelashes.
7. Good Cruelty Free Mascara: Kat Von D Go Big or Go Home
This volumizing mascara leaves a high impact and the lashes stay saturated. The brushes are designed so as to give complete coverage from the roots, thereby providing a blown-out effect. The rich carbon black formula instantly thickens the lashes which stay all day.
- Vegan Mascara
- Custom designed fluffy brushes
- High pigment ‘Trooper Black’ keeps lashes saturated all day.
8. Vegan Cruelty Free Mascara: Pacifica Stellar Supernova
This natural mineral-based mascara from Pacifica Stellar is another good option in the bunch to opt for if you need a solid reliable product which will last longer on your eyelashes. Not only does it look decent, but it also adds considerable weight and volume to your eyelashes, and something like that is always desirable. The plus being – your eyelashes will appear lengthened and strengthened, at the same time.
- Vegan brush for application.
- Natural components – Vitamin B and coconut water.
- An entirely vegan and cruelty-free product.
9. Best Value for Money: Stila Huge Extreme Lash
When it comes to adding volume to your eyelashes, the Stila HUGE Lash Mascara does not fall much behind. A single coat of this product is enough to make sure an all-rounded effect can be seen on your eyelashes – be it adding volume, length or the curl to them. The major benefit of it would probably be the fact that the product is natural, and has been clinically tested. Even people who are frequent users of contact lenses can use this product on their eyelashes, without any worry.
- Long-lasting product.
- The smudge-proof formula for consistency.
- Brighter and bolder effect on the eyes.
10. Best Vegan Mascara: Covergirl Clump Crusher
Indeed, it is an important aspect of buying mascara – it would totally ruin the beauty if the mass you apply to the eyelashes tends to clump while being worn. Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara guarantees that the volume you add to your eyelashes does not become a clumped mass, and a lot of credit is to be given to the design of the brush provided to apply. All in all, the product is worth keeping an eye on.
- Double-sided brush design – even distribution of mascara.
- Completely vegan mascara.
- Available in various colours and tones.
11. Mascara Not Tested on Animals: Physicians Black Organic Wear
No wonder that this product would be a decent replacement for false eyelashes. The Physician’s Formula Organic Mascara is able to provide a boost to the length of the eyelashes of the user. Additionally, the product has been designed while keeping in mind the health of the user – thus having been made up mostly of organic ingredients which are beneficial for the user, while making sure that the beauty enhancement is ostensibly visible.
- Hypoallergenic product, free of undesirable fragrances.
- Recyclable brush design.
- 70% of ingredients derived from organic farming.
12. Best 7-in-1 Mascara: Pacifica Dream Big Lash Extending
The Pacifica Dream Big Lash extender works true to its name and is capable of providing sizable increments in the eyelash size of the user. The majority of the composition of the product is comprised of natural plant fibres, making it a decent organic product safe for use by most people. Not to mention, the product is certified to be cruelty-free i.e. the ingredients and the product itself have never been tested on animals.
- Contains a vegan brush for application.
- Mostly natural ingredients – such as coconut oil and Vitamin B.
- It’s a Vegan product and does not contain any harmful ingredients.
13. Best Affordable Mascara: Gabriel Cosmetics Mascara
Boasting a product that is cruelty-free, vegan and gluten-free, and still being able to present a competitor in the market of mascaras is not an easy feat, and Gabriel Cosmetics has managed to achieve that. This Cosmetics Mascara by them is a mineral-based product which is able to provide the user with beauty standards matching, and even superior to the other products available on the market.
- Gentle on skin, Vitamin B5- for no irritation on the skin.
- Water-resistant formula.
- Contains natural plant waxes and vitamins.
14. Another Vegan Mascara: Tarte Tarteist Lash Paint
Making people wonder if those lashes are really yours, Tarte Mascara really changes the look of your lashes. Made with triple-black painted mineral ingredients, this mascara is vegan and gives a jet-black look. It contains natural wax that lengthens the appearance of your lashes.
- It is safe for contact lens wearers.
- Ophthalmologist and dermatologist tested.
- Vegan product.
15. Top Cruelty Free Mascara Brand: NYX Professional Mascara
Worth the Hype Mascara is a part of the professional makeup line from NYX, and indeed due to the unique qualities of the product, it is indeed worth the hype. The use of the product can be done for adding volume to the lashes, regardless of the occasion, and the charm would still be the same. The design is such that applying it with precision is a breeze, and the product itself is long-lasting upon application.
- Does not contain harmful elements.
- Available in various bold shades to choose from.
- Cruelty-free product.
Suggested Read: ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Zero-Smudge Mascara Review
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Cruelty Free Mascara
Shopping for mascara can be a real pain, especially, if you are not aware of the peculiarities of the product you need to be on the lookout for. Indeed, a suitable product can be decided after a majority of factors are taken into consideration. Below, you can find some of the aspects of the product you need to take into account before making the purchase of the best mascara which suits your needs.
Before anything else, it is your eyelashes and their characteristics which you need to be concerned about. The length and the volume of the eyelashes you have has a major effect on the type of product which will be suited for you. If your eyelashes lack volume and are delicate, then it is better to opt for a product which adds certain volume to them, but if you have long and thick eyelashes, it would be a wiser choice to opt for a product which is light-weighted for your eyelashes.
The Applicator Brush:
When it comes to brushes, there is a lot of variety present in the markets for mascaras – while some products may use a very thick brush for application, the other products simply use a thin one, albeit long. Well, although they may be confusing, the variety is sorted down to what your eyelashes are like, and which sort of brush you prefer. For example, brushes which are longer in size, they are more suited for longer eyelashes, etc.
Experimenting with colors is also not a bad idea when it comes to mascaras, as nowadays, variety in shades is not confined to a simple dark and somber colors. If you want to add a certain flair to your outlook, going out on a limb and experimenting with different colors is certainly an advised tactic.
Also Check: Best Eyeliner for Eyelash Extensions
FAQs Regarding Best Cruelty Free Mascara
1. Can mascara be worn over eyelash extensions?
Although the same is not advised, if you must wear them, at least try and wear mascara which is not oil-based, or is not waterproof. Such a product can dissolve the bonds of the eyelash extensions, and can cause the extensions to fall out sooner than that they would usually last.
2. Is there any significance of the mascara wand’s length?
This aspect strictly refers to the personal preference of the user. While for some, a longer applicator wand would be required for precision in application, for others, a smaller one would be preferable. Individual ease-of-use takes precedence, and thus, you would be wise to choose carefully.
3. What is the difference between waterproof mascara and washable mascara?
Waterproof mascaras are designed to be unaffected by water, in all circumstances, such as rain, sweat etc., and thus, have a tendency to avoid effect from water, they tend to stick to the lashes and can be troublesome when attempted to wash away. On the contrary, washable mascara products have a higher content of water as an ingredient, making them easier to be removed from the eyelashes.
You May Like: Mac Pro Longwear Fluidline Gel Eyeliner Review
Buying a cruelty free mascara is something that takes a lot of painstaking effort. A lot of things need to be carefully considered before making an adept choice wherein the user is able to make full use of the product, and adequately bring out the beauty of the eyelashes. Add into it the factor of the product being cruelty-free, the trouble surmounts manifold. Here-above, we can say with confidence that we have compiled the 15 best cruelty-free mascaras offered by reputed companies, and thus, any one of them would be a good enough pick.