You must be wondering how the Japanese maintain such a gorgeous, radiant, glass-like complexion all the time, especially in summers, isn’t it? Well, after communicating with over 11 beauty bloggers from Japan, the majority of them suggested that the Japanese sunscreens are quite effective and work best for them.
So we conducted thorough research on why they perform better than others? We found many reasons, out of which, the most important one is a powerful SPF and PA range that provides UV protection in a decent manner. They avoid UV rays as much as possible meaning their sunscreens are high-powered and result-oriented.
The range of Japanese sunscreen does clash with some of the top Korean sunscreens and the experience of both are amazing. The popularity of Japanese sunscreens amongst skincare aficionados worldwide comes from their high quality, weightlessness, and effectiveness.
You will be surprised how effectively these sunscreens work as a makeup primer or a foundation base for makeup. While Biore sunscreens are quite famous, there are many others too that provide multiple benefits to your skin and you will have one that is made just for your skin type and complexion.
Enjoying these benefits is a must if you love your skin, however, you must not forget why adding sunscreen to your daily skincare regime is important. Sun exposure and UVA and UVB rays cause skin damage that can even lead to skin cancer. Hence, the best Japanese sunscreens will shield the skin and protect it from all the damages such as aging, spots, freckles, and wrinkles that can come from UV rays.
Best Japanese Sunscreens in 2020
1. Best for Even Tone: DHC White Sunscreen
With its powerful SPF 35 protection and PA+++ power, DHC Sunscreen tones skin and helps in whitening pigmented skin. It is very light in texture and soaks into the skin effortlessly. In fact, it blends in so well that you will forget about wearing it. One of the best sunscreen for sensitive skin as it does not contain any harmful ingredients or artificial components and has been tested by dermatologists.
- SPF 35 PA+++ protects skin against UV rays and other environmental aggressors.
- Its natural ingredients provide energy to the skin and make it firmer yet softer.
- Formulated with Vitamin C, Watermelon, and Olive Leaf extracts.
- These ingredients also boost cell regeneration, helps in relieving inflammation and redness.
- Sweat and water-resistant.
2. Best Biore Sunscreen: Biore UV Sarasara Bright Milk
Another Japanese Sunscreen Biore product that ensures your skin is dry even when you are sweating while protecting your skin with its high powered SPF 50+. Its formula has “Light Correction Powder” that covers pores and dullness of your skin. A little application goes a long way but re-applying it makes the sunscreen long-lasting. It can easily be washed off with facial cleanser or makeup remover.
- This Biore sunscreen is one of the best PA++++ sunscreen.
- Sweat and water stay off with its “Sarasara Water Repellent Veil” and skin brightens up with its light pink color.
- Glycerine and Hyaluronic acid retains moisture of the skin and powerfully blocks UV rays.
- 80 minutes of water-resistance and can be used as a makeup base.
- Not suitable for extra sensitive skin.
3. Top Selling Japanese Sunscreen: Kao Biore Japan Aqua
Biore sunscreen is known for its Micro Defense formula which protects the defenseless skin against UV rays. Even with a light application, a protective layer of skin covers the whole body. Japanese sunscreen Biore is one of the top-selling sunscreens for 12 years now. SPF 50+ fortified with PA+++ does not make this sunscreen heavy for your skin, rather it keeps the skin stress-free.
- The Micro Defense formula utilizes a capsule packed with a UV protection agent that is applied to cream.
- This formula forms a veil on the skin and covers even micro crevices.
- Works miraculously well on oily skin as it is non-greasy and leaves no white cast.
- Has lotion-like consistency that blends into skin easily and quickly.
4. Best Hydrating Sunscreen: Shiseido SENKA UV Gel
You obviously need a sunscreen to protect that beautiful skin of yours from early aging. This is one of the best sunscreens from Japan that is powerful with SPF 50 protection and keeps the harmful UVA and UVB rays away off skin that causes early aging. Right before you head outdoors, a generous spread of the Mineral Water UV Protector will keep your skin protected for a good period of time. It contains Mineral Water that thoroughly hydrates the skin.
- Suitable for all skin types and can be applied to the face and body.
- Shiseido’s proprietary technology gives high UV protection and it is formulated with Mineral Water from Mount Fuji.
- It contains Baby Powder to provide smoothness like a baby’s skin.
- Sweat-sebum resistant and works as a makeup base.
5. Best PA++++ Sunscreen: Kanebo ALLIE Extra UV Gel
One of the leading cosmetics brand, Kanebo Cosmetics, have come up with this product that makes it one of the best PA++++ sunscreen. They have redesigned this sunscreen and introduced “Friction-Proof” technology into it that makes the sunscreen last long even after being rubbed onto the skin. You can lather your face and body up with this light sunscreen every day for keeping all the harmful effects of UV rays away with its SPF 50+ power.
- This Extra UV Gel is great for outdoor summer use.
- Kanebo’s Advan technology gives UV barrier skin protection.
- Formulated with collagen and hyaluronic acid that moisturizes and hydrates skin.
- Mineral oils, parabens, and fragrances free.
6. Alcohol-Free Japanese Sunscreen: ISEHAN Kiss Me Japan
This non-greasy, gel-type sunscreen tells you why are Japanese sunscreens better, as this one has all the skin-loving ingredients that hydrate your skin while protecting it against sun damages. Its texture is so light that it feels like water on your skin. The PA value depicts how strongly it protects your skin and this is one of the best PA++++ sunscreen.
- Formulated with 86% hydrating components and no alcohol.
- Its UV protection is the highest rated with SPF 50+.
- Works as a makeup base and free of parabens and artificial colorant.
- Royal Jelly Extract, Aloe Extract, and Saxifrage Extract are the ingredients present that moisturizes the skin.
7. Best Asian Sunscreen for Face: Kanebo ALLIE Extra UV
An incredible gel sunscreen made by Kanebo Cosmetics that is creamy and makes your skin super smooth, while keeping away the harmful effects of UV rays. This is one of the best PA++++ sunscreen as it has high power and is water-resistant. Even though it is formulated with strong SPF50+ PA++++ power, you can use it comfortably on a daily basis for your face and body.
- The best sunscreen for outdoor summer use.
- It comes with a “Friction Proof” technology that protects the skin from sun damage even after being rubbed.
- Water-resistant and sweat-resistant.
- The sunscreen is paraben-free, fragrance-free, and free from mineral oils.
8. Best for Sensitive Skin: ANESSA Essence UV Mild Milk
Anessa Essence UV mild milk sunscreen is everything that you are looking for as it is lightweight, waterproof and one of the best sunscreen to fight off bad effects of UV rays. Although, you have to be careful about using it on scars or wounds and in case of any irritation or white spots, or skin damage, do visit a dermatologist and discontinue using it. Take the abnormality note on the sunscreen seriously.
- One of the best selling Japanese sunscreen that can also be used as a makeup base.
- It is suitable for children and is designed for sensitive skin.
- No mineral oil used, fragrance-free and color-free.
- Also, it is allergy-tested and has alcohol and preservative.
9. Best Indoor & Outdoor Sunscreen: Fancl Japan Sunguard
Made with active ingredients, this sunscreen gives you the answer to why are Japanese sunscreens better than the rest. Fancl Japan Sunguard UV Lotion is gentle on the skin but that does not hamper with its power against the skin. You can use this sunscreen indoors and outdoors as it has properties that resist water and sebum.
- Skin moisture is retained with Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide coated with skincare essence.
- It does not leave any streaks on the skin and spreads evenly, quite smoothly.
- It can be used as a foundation under makeup and is meant for face and body.
- Thoroughly UV absorbent free and is long-lasting.
10. Best for Everyday Use: Kanebo Allie Extra UV
Another too-good-to-be-true sunscreen from Kanebo Cosmetics that had been ranked as the number 1 sunscreen in the year 2015. It has high protection powers from the sun with SPF 50+ and PA++++. Its non-greasy texture is absorbed easily into the skin and you can wash it off easily with regular cleansing.
- It helps to prevent dark spots as its high power SPF protects the skin from UV Rays that causes dark spots.
- Lightweight and oil-free and easily absorbable.
- It has the power to resist water and is one of the best PA++++ sunscreen.
- Free from parabens and fragrance and can be used daily.
11. Best Lightweight Sunscreen: Kao Biore Japan Aqua
While sunscreens are pretty expensive, this Biore Sunscreen is quite the steal. You can use this on your face and your whole body and it would not disappoint you. This is a reliable lightweight sunscreen as you would not even feel it when it glides on your skin, and its lightweight property makes it super absorbable.
- One of the best Japanese Sunscreens that comes with a high SPF.
- Even the high SPF feels nothing on the skin.
- It does not clog pores and it is great for the ones suffering from acne problems.
- It has a light, citrus-like scent and dries on your skin in a few seconds.
12. Best for Dark Spots: Shiseido Anessa Whitening
You will love the consistency of this sunscreen as it glides smoothly on your skin. The formula is lightweight and it lasts on really long. One of the best PA++++ sunscreen with SPF 50+, that can be used daily and its gel protects the skin from exposure to UV rays that causes dark spots and freckles. Trust us, this sunscreen is going to keep your skin moisturized and fresh for a very long time.
- Made with Aqua booster EX formula that guards the skin.
- The best sunscreen for targeting dark spots and is super waterproof, but also removable by soap.
- Skin loving ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, marine collagen, aloe vera, rosehip, green tea, and tormentil.
- These ingredients protect the skin from environmental damages and boost hydration.
Also Check: Best Sunscreen for Tattoos
Buyer’s Guide to The Best Japanese Sunscreen
We have laid out the top Japanese sunscreens that are out there in the market and outdoes some of the quality Korean sunscreens and European sunscreens. That only opens your treasure of choices and to help you make a wise decision, you can consider some of these factors before you make your purchase:
1. Type of Skin
With acne-prone skin, buy sunscreens that are non-greasy and oil-free as it will not clog pores and cause breakouts. For Dry or Sensitive Skin look for sunscreens that have high moisturizing powers with ingredients such as Hyaluronic acid. For Mature Skin, the SPF power should be high to prevent damage from UV rays.
2. The terms- UVA, UVB, SPF, and PA
If these terms are confusing you then you must know that UVA rays cause aging and wrinkles while UVB rays cause spots or freckles. SPF means Sun Protection Factor and PA stands for protection grade, The higher the SPF and PA range, the higher is the protection from sun exposure.
3. Form of Sunscreen
There are various forms that come with different benefits such as- Milk & Cream, Watery Gel, UV Sprays, Essence, and UV- Cut Powder Sheets which are quite rare.
Twist-off caps, Flip Caps, Squeeze Bottles, and Pump Bottles are some of the types of dispensers. Choose according to your convenience.
Also Read: Best Sunscreens for Melasma
FAQs Related to The Japanese Sunscreens
1. Which Biore sunscreen is the best?
The one with SPF 50+ and PA++++ rating provides maximum protection and can be considered the best.
2. Why is Japanese sunscreen better?
Some of the best Korean sunscreen and best European sunscreen does not stand out in front of Japanese sunscreens because of their PA ratings. The more “+” on PA, the better UVA rays protection.
3. Which is better SPF 30 or SPF 50?
With a difference of 1%, SPF 50 blocks 98% of UV rays while SPF 30 blocks 97% of UV rays, which means SPF 50 provides 1% more protection.
4. Can I use SPF 50 everyday?
SPF 50 is best when you are doing outdoor activities while SPF 30 can be used daily for your day-to-day activities.
5. What is PA+++ in sunscreen?
SPF gives protection from UVB rays and PA gives protection from UVA rays. PA+++ gives protection against strong UV radiation to normal skin.
6. Is it bad to wear sunscreen everyday?
No, you have to wear sunscreen every day to keep your skin protected from sun damages as it can be as bad as causing skin cancer.
Suggested Read: Best Sunscreens for Pregnancy
We all envy and desire the glass-like, gorgeous complexion of Japanese Men, Women, and Kids, and adding one of the best quality Japanese sunscreens to your skincare regime might just be the miracle that you were hoping for. Keeping your skin type in mind, get yourself one of these products to keep damages caused by the sun at bay.
Some of the best Korean sunscreens are also worth a try for your skin. Enjoy the benefits of a protected skin with regular sunscreen use, while also make the most of its other qualities that ensure your skin stays energized and fresh.