A baby bump is out and so is the summer! Pregnancy is the time when everything that reaches you, goes straight to your baby too. Ultimate care with no compromises is what this specific period demands. Going out in the sun with the baby in your womb? Aren’t you forgetting to slather up your baby belly with some good sunscreen?
Sunscreen? Is it even safe during pregnancy?
Not just you, many soon to be mothers have this concern of using sunscreens during pregnancy! To all those people in the back queue: Yes! It is absolutely safe! Pregnancy can change your skin with different conditions and it happens to be more sensitive under the sun causing sunburns and pigmentation. Curating the sunscreen wing is crucial and that’s where hypoallergenic and organic sunscreens knock the scenes to protect both you and your baby from harmful UV rays that can potent skin cancer too.
To aisle, the safest sunscreen formulas can be overwhelming but fortunately, there are dozens of pregnancy safe sunscreens out there! You may have sacrificed hundreds of favorites, but your beauty routine doesn’t need any surrendering.
It’s time you shield yours and your baby’s skin confidently with natural ingredients. How about we start with some gentle and hypoallergenic sunscreens for your pre-mom and post-mom period?
Let’s have a look at the list of safe sunscreens during pregnancy.
Best Sunscreens for Pregnancy in 2020
1. Overall Best: Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen
Itching, drying, and other skin conditions are normal during pregnancy. Thinkbaby, being overall best sunscreen for pregnancy is clinically proven for mom and baby both. The brand addresses non-toxic skincare products for everyone including the babies. Sunscreen with SPF 50 and above is sun cream that is safe and sustainable for the soft skin. Yeah, your baby is going to love this product.
- Covers up both UVB and UVA spectrums in the broader term.
- A non-nano formula that doesn’t harm the skin during the sensitive times.
- Resists water, which means you are safer to go on the beach.
- FDA approved sunscreen that never leaves you sticky.
2. Best Runner Up: Sun Bum Lotion Vegan Sunscreen
Made with love and all of the vegan ingredients, it gives protection to the skin at SPF 70 causing no allergies or inflammation and unclogs pores too. Comfortably resists water up to 90 minutes and keeps moisturizing the skin leaving it soft and smooth. Vitamin E backs up the skin with no stretch marks during pregnancy. Sun Bum, the brand is authorized by the skin cancer foundation and is safe to use.
- Blocks 100% of harmful UV rays.
- Combats the aging signs and skin conditions including skin cancer.
- Eliminates free radicals and protects with Vitamin E.
- Hypoallergenic and suitable for all types of skin, even the sensitive one.
3. Safe Sunscreen During Pregnancy: Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc
Free of harmful chemicals, BABO Botanicals – a safe sunscreen during pregnancy protects the skin from the sun. Manufacturing skincare products suitable for the environment are safe on any skin type. SPF 30 works as the 100% barrier and guards the skin like a true soldier. Botanical based sunscreen lotion is awaiting your presence and witness the results instantly after the first usage.
- It contains sunflower seed to repair the damaged skin.
- Provides Omega-3 fatty acids with Vitamin A, D, and E for ultimate hydration.
- Jojoba oil to relax irritation and inflammation on the skin.
- Made with botanical ingredients and is free of chemicals and cruelty.
4. Best Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin: Skinnies Sungel
Thinking of using the same old sunscreen? Thing again! Pregnancy needs a special touch and Skinnies Sungel Eco sunscreen formula with SPF 30 pampers a lot. Feel amazing with the creative waterless gel that protects you from the shiny sun. Skinnies perform like the concentrate rented your skin and do what it should do for long hours and that’s indeed sweet!!
- Layers of Organo gel to filter out the sun rays
- Waterproofed lotion with no water contents.
- SPF 30 works as the shield and guards for a long period of time
- Doesn’t feel greasy or stingy, also doesn’t sting your eyes
5. Good for Sensitive Skin: Aveeno Positively Mineral
UV rays damage the skin and if yours is a sensitive one then it’s worse. Aveeno, the known brand is now here with the best sunscreen to use while pregnant that is specially made for sensitive skin. This hypoallergenic sunscreen lotion works ultimately safe and secure for the delicacy that the skin encounters during pregnancy. You should try one, you won’t regret the choice!
- Protects from inflammation and repairs the damaged skin.
- Light-weight and it doesn’t grease over your skin when you are in the water.
- It provides a fresh, clean, and matte look with nurturing oats.
- Travel friendly and stays on the skin up to 90 minutes.
6. Best Organic Sunscreen: Bee Friendly Mineral
With all the natural ingredients that are clinically approved and certified, a mineral-based sunscreen from Bee Friendly has the sun-blocking technology to protect your skin from sunburns and damages. Made with coconut oil, avocado oil, and cocoa butter it treats your skin much good and is completely safe for both adults with any type of skin, even the kids too.
- The water-resistant formula has been infused to protect your skin from the greasy feel.
- The sunscreen lasts for long period round the clock up to 80 minutes.
- Moisturizes the skin with Vitamin E ingredient.
- Suitable for all types of outdoor activities under the sun causes no side effects.
7. Best Sunscreen Stick for Face: Earth Mama Baby
Earth Mama, a brand that serves just for the babies and the moms is one of the best sunscreens for pregnancy. If you are concerned about which sunscreen lotion to be used, earth mama has got your back with the goodness of natural ingredients alone. It is infused with SPF 40 that goes easy on the delicate skin. It’s time you say bye to your regular sunscreen and switch to Earth Mama.
- The lotion protects the skin from UVA and UVB rays directly from the sun.
- It contains zero chemicals or fragrance.
- The Aloe ingredient in the lotion gives a smooth skin promisingly.
- Dermatologist recommended and is suitable for all types of skin.
8. Sunblock Safe for Pregnancy: Sky Organics Mineral
Feel amazing with organic sunscreens that have safe minerals making it smooth and comfortable for all types of skin, including the kids. The non-nano zinc technology provides a wide spectrum of UVA and UVB rays with all the botanical and natural ingredients that are completely trustable. The sunscreen prevents skin damages combatting many other skin conditions.
- Waterproofed enough to relieve you from sticky feel.
- It lasts for a long period of time up to 80 minutes.
- It contains no chemicals or artificial fragrance.
- Keeps the skin healthy and balanced with natural substances.
9. Best Value for Money: Eau Thermale Avene
An exclusive Sunsitive fluid sunscreen made with the combination of organic ingredients and vitamins to treat your skin. Eau Thermale Avene, one of the best sunscreens for pregnancy with potent filter technology that layers out harmful rays from with 4 filter system. Safeguards the skin from UVB and UVA rays without any adverse impact on the skin.
- SPF 50 is a remarkable make for pregnant women and those with sensitive skin.
- 4 filter technology assures of zero UV rays.
- Supplies antioxidants deeply into the skin and keep it healthy.
- Free of chemicals and safe on all types of skin.
10. Absolutely Natural Sunscreen with Rose Hips Oil
Let your skin be healthy and balanced with Absolutely Natural Sunscreens which has SPF 15 that protects your skin from damages under the sun. Increase the levels of natural defenses with the goodness of organic ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Rosehip Oil, and Vitamin E. Made with superior formulations that shield your sensitive skin.
- Guards against UVA and UVB rays from the sun.
- Nourishes the skin with Squalane and keeps it healthy.
- Repairs and heals the damaged skin with Rosehip oil.
- Tested and approved by dermatologists suitable for all types of skin.
Suggested Read: Best Pregnancy Safe Shampoos in 2020
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Sunscreen for Pregnancy
Pregnancy doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend time at the beach or outdoors. Enjoying the sun is worth for all and so does for the moms to be! A little dose of Vitamin D from the sun is nutritious for the baby in your womb, but protecting the skin is crucial too. Hence, sneak peek at the few things to keep in mind before you purchase the best pregnancy safe sunscreen.
1. Broad-spectrum effect
Of course, your belly becomes sensitive during pregnancy, and opting for broad-spectrum sunscreens can shield both your skin from damages and hazardous UVA and UVB rays. Consider using sunscreens that have non-nano zinc oxide that is the safest for women during pregnancy.
Dermatologists play a strong role in the skincare regime, especially during pregnancy. It is a must to provide healthy ingredients to your baby and consulting with a dermatologist before you use any skincare product would be recommended.
Ensure that the ingredients are free of chemicals and are completely natural. Take out some time to check the ingredient label in the product attentively. EWG, Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, and Homosalate are hazardous ones that shouldn’t be on sunscreens.
Sunscreens should not just protect the skin but also provide optimum hydration to the surface keeping it healthy and balanced even during the summers. Having enough liquid foods during pregnancy will keep yourself and the baby hydrated and lets your skin glow.
Also Check: Best Pregnancy Safe Face Washes in 2020
FAQs Related to Pregnancy Safe Sunscreens
1. Is it mandatory to use sunscreens during pregnancy?
Of course not! But if you are outdoors under the sun then sunscreens are necessary because harmful rays from the sun can affect the baby too.
2. How often should I use sunscreen?
Sunscreens can last for a long time and you can use such sun creams whenever you are going out in the sun.
3. Should I pull off the regular skincare routine during pregnancy?
Makeup and cosmetics can be harmful to the skin during the baby time, but when you use skin products that are safe and recommended by dermatologists will do zero harm.
4. Does using sunscreens during pregnancy cause side effects?
Not when you pick the organic and hypoallergenic ones! Chemical-based sunscreens can adverse the effects but the natural ones keep your skin healthy.
You May Like: Best Pregnancy Safe Body Washes in 2020
Enriching the skin is crucial for everyone and pregnant women need some special care and pampering as their skin will be more sensitive. Pregnancy can lead to major skin changes, especially if you are under the sun. Using the hypoallergenic sunscreens approved by FDA can keep you safe and healthy with minerals and vitamins.
In the end, nothing matters, but you and your gorgeous angel and to nourish the delicate skin it is suggested that you pick only organic sunscreens that will provide essential nutrients to the skin to both you and your little one, much like the ones listed above.