Do you get stubborn spots on your face? Nothing makes them go away soon? Well, you are suffering from hormonal acne. They happen to almost everyone (mostly women) at least once in a lifetime. No worries, you are not alone in this. Before trying out any product for hormonal acne, first, understand its concept.
Why Does Hormonal Acne Happen?
Simply because your hormones are acting weird. You can detect these changes in your hormones before and during your periods, when you attain puberty or when you are suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS. Even if your hormones don’t fluctuate during these times, your heavily oily skin can be the reason for acne breakouts.
Just remember, hormonal acne may look ugly but it’s not permanent, and there’s nothing to worry about. With a proper diet plan, care, and treatment, they can be prevented and put under control.
What Does Hormonal Acne Look Like?
Hormonal acne takes different forms on different skin types. Some may get them in the form of painful pimples, some in blackheads, and some in the form of whiteheads. And some people experience these with no heads on the skin’s surface but underneath it; these are called cystic acne and are most painful and difficult to remove.
Who Does It Affect?
Though hormonal changes occur mostly during teenage and adolescent years, it is found to affect adult men and women as well. Menopause is a major reason for women in the age bracket of 40 to 50 years to suffer from acne and overactivity of testosterone in males is the reason for them getting acne in their adult years.
Visiting a dermatologist to getting over-the-counter medicines to trying home remedies, there are many successful treatments for hormonal acne. As important as these are, choosing the right facial cleanser is also necessary for faster elimination and healthier skin.
Here are the 12 best face washes for hormonal acne that are handpicked by dermatologists to help you get rid of painful and unsightly acne spots.
Best Face Washes for Hormonal Acne in 2020
1. Best Overall: Neutrogena Rapid Clear
Oil is the major cause of hormonal acne breakouts. To help you get rid of the excess oil, remove acne, and prevent future breakouts, Neutrogena presents this superb facial cleanser. Named Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Face Wash, it gives your skin a refreshing rub that removes oil and greasiness. It works on the toughest of acne, attacking it from the roots so you experience a difference just after 2 to 3 washes. Follow a daily morning and night ritual of washing your face with this cleanser to enjoy a cleaner, healthier, and oil-free skin.
- Contains 10% benzoyl peroxide which quickly reduces the size and redness of acne, making them disappear completely.
- It keeps your skin oil-free for hours, thus preventing future acne breakouts.
- It does not make your skin too dry after wash.
2. Best Cleanser for Hormonal Acne: Solimo Acne Control
This Solimo face cleanser by Amazon has maximum strength formula with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. This face wash thoroughly cleans your oily and acne face. It is proven to be safe for your skin as it is tested by dermatologists and pediatricians. However, people with sensitive skin should avoid using this face wash as it can be harsh on their skin type.
- Maximum strength formula with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide for effective acne reduction.
- Dermatologist and pediatrician tested formula.
- Contains fresh scent of menthol.
3. Best with Benzoyl Perixide: AcneFree Oil-Free Cleanser
Acne face washes can leave harmful effects on your skin, such as irritation and over dryness, with their harsh acidic contents. AcneFree Oil-Free Acne Cleanser is different in this regard. It does both – treat as well as care. With its 2.5 percent micronized benzoyl peroxide formula, it cleans your oily skin and eliminates even the toughest acne by entering deep into the pores. And its ceramic content ensures your skin stays hydrated, soft, and healthy.
Acne doesn’t just happen on the face. Even your body, like your chest and back area, can witness an acne breakout. You can use this oil cleanser in the shower to rid your body of mild to severe acne.
- Advanced micronized Benzoyl Peroxide enters deep into the skin, cleansing acne bacteria and unclogging large pores.
- The concentration of the peroxide is just 2.5%, which makes it gentle and non-drying.
- Also contains ceramides that ensure the skin remains well moisturized after every wash.
- Can be used to treat acne breakouts on the rest of the body too.
4. Good Cleanser for Hormonal Acne: PCA Skin BPO 5%
This PCA SKIN Clarifying Daily Facial Wash will give you the best acne treatment at home. Its natural and scientifically developed formula deeply cleanses your skin, removing dead skin cells and attacking acne from the roots. It also helps remove the chances of your skin developing acne in the future through its exfoliating and antibacterial properties. Acnes surely hurt but this face wash with its soothing botanical extracts leaves your skin feeling calm and refreshed.
- Contains 5% Benzoyl peroxide which means it is harsh on the acne and gentle on the skin.
- Botanical extracts such as aloe, cucumber, chamomile, etc. soothe and calm irritated acne skin.
- Developed using scientific procedures minus any harsh chemicals.
- Your skin will turn clearer gradually after use.
5. Best Non Comedogenic Face Wash: Replenix 10% Benzoyl Peroxide
Treat your skin with this non-comedogenic face wash for acne and get the desired results in no time. The Benzoyl Peroxide with Aloe Vera formula makes it one of the best face washes for hormonal acne. Its deep cleansing results can be experienced right after one use as your skin feels and looks refreshed and clear. And if you do not like the white or lighter complexion an acne face wash leaves behind, you will love this one as it maintains your skin’s original complexion.
- Advanced 10% micronized Benzoyl Peroxide formula unclogs pores and eliminates bacteria that cause acne.
- Infused with aloe vera so your skin doesn’t feel dry and irritated.
- It penetrates deep into your skin to remove the dead skin cells, impurities, etc. to prevent future emergence of acne.
- It does not make your skin look chalky white.
- Free from paraben and artificial fragrance.
6. Best with Salicylic Acid: Exposed Skin Care Cleanser
Along with acne killing Benzoyl Peroxide, the Exposed Skin Care Facial Cleanser has the goodness of Salicylic Acid, Pro-Vitamin B5, and Sage Extract. Salicylic Acid works on your pores in two ways. 1. It unclogs or eliminates bacteria in the pores so the present acne loosens its hold on your skin and vanishes. 2. It shrinks the pores so there’s no bacteria accumulation and acne formation in the future. Pro-Vitamin B5 ensures your skin’s natural oils get produced in enough quantity. And Sage Extract does the job of keeping your face moisturized and away from irritation.
- Enriched with Salicylic Acid, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Sage Extract to deep cleanse, unclog pores, regulate oil production, and cause non-dryness and irritation.
- Special ingredients of alpha & beta hydroxy acids and olive leaf extract help in deep cleaning of the skin.
- This face wash removes dirt and oil from your skin, not its natural moisture.
- Free from harsh chemicals including paraben and sulfate.
7. Top-Rated Face Wash for Acne: 3 Step 24 Hours Kit
For a complete treatment for your acne at home, you need to pick this Acne Free 3 Step 24 Hour Acne Treatment Kit. It includes an Oil-Free Acne Cleanser for deep cleaning of pores, a Witch Hazel Mattifying Toner for eliminating excess oil and Oil-Free Acne Lotion for attacking acne. All three contain natural and skin caring ingredients that effectively work on even the most severe acne and leave your skin oil-free clean without turning it dry.
- Oil-Free Acne Cleanser with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide and ceramides deeply clean the pores
- Witch Hazel Mattifying Toner enriched with Glycolic Acid and Aloe Vera removes excess oil from the skin, reducing shine and greasiness without causing irritation or dryness.
- Oil-Free Acne Lotion with 3.7% benzoyl peroxide and ceramides attacks the acne by reducing its appearance gradually, leaving a spot-free smooth skin behind.
8. Best for Blackheads & Whiteheads: Proactiv Deep Cleansing
The Proactiv Deep Cleansing Wash does what it promises. Its salicylic acid-infused formula reaches deep inside the pores clearing it of waste and impurities. It works to remove dead skin cells and give a new life to your skin. With regular use, you will notice the reduced appearance of blemishes and acne spots and more radiant and supple skin. This face wash also has ingredients that prevent your skin from turning dry after use.
- An excellent treatment for whiteheads, blackheads, blemishes, and other kinds of acne.
- Thoroughly cleanses the pores of excess oil and dirt.
- The salicylic acid present in the formula restores the moisture of the skin and even increases it for a lovable hydrated feel.
- You get to experience results in just a few days of use.
9. Best Cheap Face Wash for Acne: Perrigo 10% Benzoyl Peroxide
The Perrigo Acne Medication Face Wash is a top choice for many with severe acne. This face wash has Benzoyl Peroxide in 10% concentration, which helps it put a strong fight against acne. But even at this percentage, it is surprisingly not harsh on your skin. It soothes and gently cleanses your skin without making it feel tight or irritated.
- 10% Benzoyl Peroxide formula works wonders on the toughest of acne.
- It is gentle on the skin.
- Completely cleans the oil and dirt from the pores without causing excess dryness.
10. Vitamin D Face Wash: CeraVe Salicylic Acid Cleanser
Packed with acne eliminating plus skin smoothening and moisturizing ingredients, the CeraVe Renewing Exfoliating Face Wash is great for treating your acne-prone skin. Few days of use and you can notice that your face looks cleaner and your spots are less visible. This face wash does not contain any skin irritating ingredient. Also, it doesn’t leave your skin feeling dry and lacks moisture, thanks to its non-drying, hydrating formula.
- Infused with Salicylic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, and antioxidant Vitamin D for deep cleansing, hydration, and protection.
- Contains 1, 3, 6, and II ceramides to restore the skin’s natural protective layer.
- It gently exfoliates your skin and turns it softer.
- Does not contain artificial fragrance or skin irritating ingredients.
- Developed with the help of dermatologists.
11. Best for All Skin Types: NxN Acne Treatment Kit
Looking for a treatment that addresses each and every acne problem? Look no further than NxN Acne Treatment Kit. The kit includes 4 products for 4 step elimination of acne from the roots. The products are Acne Edit Toner, Acne Edit Cleanser, Acne Edit Spot Treatment, and Acne Edit Overnight Treatment. With some patience and determination to follow a routine, you can experience drastic changes in your acne facial skin with this acne treatment kit.
- Acne Edit Toner unclogs pores and turns that greasy look into a mattified one by controlling excess oil production.
- Acne Edit Cleanser infused with organic green tea refreshes the skin and makes it softer and more glowing.
- Acne Edit Spot Treatment with ginger, licorice, and sulfur attack acne from the roots without causing skin irritation.
- Acne Edit Overnight Treatment prepares your skin for future breakouts by helping it fight against bacteria that clog pores and cause acne.
- Suitable for every skin type and teens as well as adults.
12. Best for Sensitive Skin: TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment
Go all-natural with this TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment. It combines all the natural cleansing, healing, and hydrating ingredients to give you an effective and worry-free home cure. With its ingredients such as peppermint water, witch hazel, and tea tree essential oil, it promises to eliminate all signs of acne from your skin as well as cut the possibility of your skin sprouting fresh breakouts in the future. It also doesn’t leave your skin feeling stingy, dry, or irritated with its soothing properties.
- Contains bentonite clay which gently removes all impurities from the pores and makes the skin cells get fresh oxygen.
- Natural antibacterial ingredients combined with botanicals eliminate acne without causing dryness or irritation.
- All-natural product minus any artificial.
- Delivers results right after first use.
Beginners Guide to Choose the Best Face Wash for Hormonal Acne
When you start looking for a face wash for your hormonal acne, what are the things you should pay attention to? How do you find out the one you are choosing is the right one for your acne? Let us help you answer these questions below.
1. Type of Acne
As mentioned earlier, there are around 4 types of acne, namely pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, and cystic. And there are face washes for each kind. You need to identify your acne type and pick the face wash accordingly. Also note, some face washes help fight all kinds of acne.
2. Oil-Free Formula
The major cause for acne formation is the dirt and oil accumulated inside your pores. So your acne face wash should have ingredients that clean away the pores, unclog them and prevent them from clogging and forming acnes in the future.
3. Gentle on the Skin
Acne face cleansers can be harsh on the skin because of the pores cleaning ingredients present in them. The removal of excess oil from your face’s skin can turn it dry, swollen or irritated or all the 3! So make sure your chosen face wash does both jobs of cleaning and moisturizing your skin.
FAQS Regarding Face Wash for Hormonal Acne
1. How do I know if I have hormonal acne?
Through their looks and place of appearance. Acnes are in the form of whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, or cystic. They mostly appear in the T zone area that consists of forehead, nose, and chin.
2. How do I balance my hormones?
Exercising, having the right diet, staying away from stress, etc. are some of the ways in which you can balance your hormones and keep acne at bay.
3. What causes hormonal acne in men?
When androgens, the reproductive organ in males, starts producing excess oil, the skin can witness acne breakouts.
4. Which face wash is good for Acne-Prone skin?
A cleanser containing benzoyl peroxide concentration of 2 to 5% with soothing ingredients is the best face wash for acne-prone skin. 10% benzoyl peroxide is the most effective but it can be too drying.
5. How often should I wash my face?
4 to 5 times a day. Washing your face daily with an oil and dirt removing face wash is key to eliminating all signs of acne and future breakouts. It’s suggested to apply night cream that’s designed for acne.
Related Articles on VooBeauty:
Having acne on your skin doesn’t mean you stop loving it. In fact, it is the time to show more love on it than usual through immediate treatment and care. These are some of the best face washes for hormonal changes that will help you treat the problem at home and get the desired results in just a few weeks. Make sure you follow the routine of washing your face and body with the cleanser without letting lethargy and other factors come in the way.
Patience and determination to follow a cleaning schedule is very important if you want your skin to be free of those acne spots. Stay positive and get back to us when your skin show improvement. We would be very happy to know that!