Foundation, as the name suggests, is the base on which one can build the entire look using makeup or not. It is used for getting a uniform skin tone and for hiding any imperfections that could be present on your skin. Some foundations also act as sunscreen, moisturizer or base layer for cosmetics.
Textures, shades, consistencies, colours, everything varies from one foundation to another. Hiding imperfections while producing an even skin tone can all be achieved with this magic product.
While this product can create a lot of magic to make you look better, it’s best that we also make our environment feel and look better by keeping animal testing at bay. Hence opting for brands that are cruelty-free and whose ingredients or final products have not been tested on animals is the wisest choice. Some of the famous brands such as NYX Professional, Urban Decay, Milani, Physicians Formula, Catrice etc swear by their cruelty-free approach.
Foundations are more than just cover-ups now, in fact, they are beneficial as a barrier against pollution and acts as a sunscreen, and we have listed down some of the best cruelty-free foundations for every skin tone and skin type to feel good.
Liquid Foundation (Serum Foundations)
For almost every type of skin, liquid foundation is the go-to classic choice. It works great on the combination and dry skin, because of its power to hydrate the skin. It is available in many ranges and has full coverage levels. You can go for a light coverage cruelty-free liquid foundation if you are looking out for just getting an even skin tone. In case of covering up marks on the face or for creating a strong base for complex makeup, opt for a full coverage foundation. Liquid foundations are the most go-to foundations as they have a long-lasting effect.
1. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Total Control Drop Foundation
Create the perfect colour that will match your skin tone by adding the right amount of drops to brushes or beauty blenders with this foundation. The total control drop Foundation can be customised according to your preference of coverage.
- You can get a sheer to full coverage with the right amount of drops added to your brushes
- This foundation works great for complex makeups as well as for hiding facial flaws
- NYX Professional believes in cruelty-free cosmetics and all the products are certified by PETA as a cruelty-free brand
- Combining it with their primers will help you get a soft velvety matte finish
- Its ability to give a customised coverage is the main reason why you should opt for this foundation
2. Milani Conceal + Perfect Foundation Stick
Milani Conceal is the perfect foundation stick that is light beige in colour and effortlessly covers up all imperfections and delivers an even skin tone with a soft, natural matte finish. You can expect a flawless complexion that will last for 24 hours. Milani is a brand that is not inspired just by models but is into making products that can be used by every other real person.
- The foundation has the ability to cover up all imperfections and give an even skin tone that could last up to 12 hours
- There is a range of 20 different Shades that one can choose from
- The ingredients are vegan, the bamboo powder is used to absorb oil and Lily extracts are used to lighten the pores
- Provides a creamy, full coverage texture that is water-resistant and can be directly applied on the skin
3. Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Wet n Wild Photofocus foundation comes with a bonus free mini primer. The shade of this Foundation is soft Ivory and is known to be one of the highest performing foundations. Under several light conditions, this foundation has been tested and also has been tested with top smartphone models.
- The photo focus foundation has undergone major road testing under many photo lighting conditions with and without the use of flash
- The light testing has been done to give a flawless camera or selfie-ready makeup every time
- Gives a matte, light-diffusing complexion and you would need no filter for the perfect selfie
- Has buildable coverage and the colour can be matched for all undertones with a soft finish texture of the skin
4. Physicians Formula The Healthy Foundation
The history of Healthy Beauty is beautiful in itself as this brand was started out of love by a husband for his wife who suffered from skin conditions and longed for makeup that would not provoke her skin. This is the reason why you can trust all their makeup products as they are hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin and eyes.
- This is a buildable foundation that gives a satin-like finish
- The formula of Vitamin A, C and E antioxidant blend, Hyaluronic Acid and protective SPF 20 hydrates the skin
- For getting a beautiful looking skin you can apply it with a blender sponge, a foundation brush and ended with a touch up of face powder
- This foundation is known for its properties of being ultra-blendable, buildable breathable and lightweight
- You get a bright hydrated and even skin tone because of the formula of Hyaluronic acid and Chinese Wu-Zhu-Yu Extract
5. Catrice | HD Liquid Coverage Foundation
Get a finish that is natural-looking with Catrice HD Liquid Coverage Foundation. This vegan-friendly foundation covers all your imperfections and gives a smooth, even skin tone with a matte finish. Their cosmetic products are cruelty-free certified by PETA.
- Comes with a unique dropper applicator which is very clean and easy to use
- Gives a high coverage and the formula is ultra-light
- The Catrice Liquid Foundation comes in 24 shades and you can use the shade finder to find your perfect shade
- Get an even skin tone that would last for 24 hours covering up all your imperfections
- As mentioned above it is cruelty-free and is also paraben-free
6. Flower Beauty Light Illusion Foundation
With the support of luxurious products, Flower products are meant to empower women by making them feel and look great in their own skin. This foundation provides medium to buildable coverage which leaves a smooth and perfect skin tone. The shade here is Ivory and is provided with SPF18.
- Has a weightless formula and gives a nude skin feel
- You will get the most complimenting soft luminosity with this breakthrough foundation
- Get rid of imperfections and even your skin tone and settle only for a smooth flawless complexion
- For best results apply primer and then dab foundation on the cheeks and other parts of the face and blend it upward and outward
- If you are going for longer wear, then set it with the perfect powder
7. Smashbox Skin Full Coverage Foundation
Smashbox Foundation gives you fair skin with a neutral undertone. The foundation is so smooth that it weightlessly glides onto your skin and is very comfortable to use for longer wear. Even without setting it with powder this foundation can run for a long time.
- Provides full coverage and is extremely lightweight
- Gives you a 24-hour coverage comfortably even with very little application
- Has a blurring effect and very effectively controls oil and gives a shine
- Does not crease or give a cakey look, rather has waterproof, sweat and humidity-resistant properties
- It works great on all skin types and does not cause acne
- Kaolin Clay and Bamboo Powder are responsible for controlling oil and shine
8. Burts Bees Goodness Glows Liquid Makeup
This cruelty-free foundation gives a medium to full coverage and is perfect for tanned skin with yellow or warm undertones. Burt’s Bees Goodness products are proud of their natural ingredients and this foundation is dermatologist-tested as well. It gives an all-day lasting finish with a natural look and an even and smooth skin tone.
- The ingredients are nourishing and natural such as meadowfoam seed oil that provides moisture to the skin
- 18 shades of buildable liquid foundation that matches a varied range of skin tones without looking heavy or cakey
- Free from SLS, talc, parabens, synthetic fragrances, phthalates or silicones
- Provides all-day coverage and is perfect for both day and evening looks
9. Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage
Breathe life back into your skin with this vegan, oil-free, matte liquid foundation. It is lightweight and gives instant full coverage without giving a greasy or a cakey appearance. This cruelty-free foundation is also hypoallergenic and has been tested by dermatologists.
- The formula is made to control oil and is also cake free
- Lasts for a very long time without settling in lines of the face or without creasing
- The clay present helps in giving uneven skin tone and balances the complexion
- Ingredients present in this foundation are Amazonian clay, Vitamin E, and Mineral pigments that soothe and softens the skin
- This foundation can be used for sensitive skin as well
10. Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Liquid Foundation
With just half of a pump, get instant full coverage with this highly concentrated liquid foundation. Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Liquid Foundation needs no primer along with it. The application of this foundation is like a second skin and will leave you with the flawless and smooth complexion.
- Hourglass foundation does not dry out the skin because of the presence of innovative coated pigments that create a smooth application
- Lasts all day and is fade-proof, waterproof, transfer-proof and sweat-proof
- The formula is non-comedogenic which is why it is suitable for sensitive skin as well
- They are proud to be a cruelty-free band and is free of parabens, sulfates, talc and phthalates
- You are free to choose the perfect tone from 32 different shades
11. FACE atelier Ultra Foundation Porcelain
This is face FACE Atelier’s award-winning Foundation that is highly pigmented providing a medium to full buildable coverage. Approved by PETA and Leaping Bunny, they are proud to be cruelty-free and are formulated with vegan ingredients, also guaranteeing their authenticity.
- The formula is highly pigmented and is streakless that provides a dewy and natural-looking flawless coverage
- its optical blurring formula reduces the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles and its flawless finish gets rid of the redness
- The foundation is ideal for women of all skin types irrespective of what age or race they belong to
- Resistant to heat and oil because of its cutting edge, silicone-based formula
12. Liquid Foundation All Nighter
Urban decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation I will give you a look that doesn’t seem overdone and provide full coverage with a modern matte finish. It’s one of those foundations that is perfect for all-night affairs and is also comfortable enough to be worn the entire day. Get a flawless-looking complexion that won’t quit with this ultimate foundation.
- It’s completely matte but is never flat and the best part is that it is oil-free
- Since it is hyper loaded with pigment, a little application goes a long way
- Applying multiple layers or building up coverage will not be required with this foundation
- The formula is paraben-free and is also waterproof and easily absorbs oil to reduce the shiny appearance
13. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation
If a flawless complexion every day is what you are looking for then go for this award-winning skin base Foundation. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation gives a natural-looking finish and is quite lightweight which makes the blending very easy on the skin. You can choose from 24 shades from this brand to suit your skin tone.
- All thanks to skin boosting Vitamin C and E for giving a smooth and soft conditioned look
- Since the formula is vitamin-rich, it is quite easy to go for a buildable coverage
- The skin base Foundation is suitable for most skin types even the sensitive ones
- The product has not been tested on animals and hence is cruelty-free
There is no harm in having a product for every time and place according to your mood. So if you have a liquid Foundation you can still also go ahead and use powder foundation. However, the real difference here is the latter is best for oily and combination skin. Since it’s mostly suitable for oily skin, it goes without saying that it may not be great for dry skin. Also, it provides less coverage and some products may not be as long-lasting as liquid foundations
1. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Cushion Foundation
A dermatologist approved foundation, that helps in reducing irritation and breakout while also providing SPF protection definitely has to be a safe buy. As mentioned earlier in the article, the history of Physicians Formula is beautiful because this brand has been made out of love by a husband for his wife who had extremely sensitive skin and was fond of makeup.
- Go for a healthy-looking complexion by airbrushing, blurring and correcting imperfections with Mineral Cushion Foundation
- The brand is proud to be 100% cruelty-free and free of synthetic ingredients that could aggravate sensitive skin
- Hypoallergenic and no harsh additives or irritants are present
- Protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays by its SPF 50 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
- Extremely convenient for using it on the go
2. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Hydra Touch Powder Foundation
This powder foundation has a slight peach undertone which is light in shade. NYX Professional is also a very proud cruelty-free brand that restrains from any animal testing. The silky shades of Hydra Touch Powder Foundation can be applied dry or wet.
- The buildable coverage is flawless with a matte finish and is quite weightless
- Not many foundations come with the benefit of being used dry or wet, but HydraTouch does
- Get a skin that would feel fresh and soft because of its innovative formula that contains moisturizing botanical extracts
- Works great for normal and combination skin
3. Everyday Minerals | Beige 3N Jojoba Base Mineral Powder Foundation
Everyday Minerals create handmade products purely out of love for women to make them feel confident in their own skin. Each of their products is carefully and thoughtfully made with natural botanicals and pure minerals. Their products are 100% cruelty-free, sustainable, and vegan.
- If you have combination skin of lighter olive or have freckled complexions, Beige 3N Jojoba Base Foundation is the one you should opt for
- Look bright and fresh because of Jojoba Base
- Formulated with premium mica crystals to provide luminosity and jojoba esters to give a buttery feel to the skin
- 3N indicates the depth and undertone- 0-7 for depth and the letter represents undertone, W is Warm, C is Cool and N is Neutral
4. bareMinerals MATTE SPF 15 Foundation
BareMinerals foundation has proved clinically that it minimizes the appearance of pores. The foundation is very light and gives a natural matte finish. Applying it gives you a nude or a no-makeup look. The tone is medium beige.
- This medium beige foundation when applied lasts upto almost 8 hours
- It gives a natural matte finish and a no-makeup look
- Free of animal testing, fillers, synthetic chemicals, binders or parabens
- Your skin will not dry out as the presence of lightweight minerals help in absorbing excess oil
5. Au Naturale Semi-Matte Powder Foundation
Au Naturale believes that there is a color for every skin tone. Biscay color is mainly for skin tones that are fair to light with neutral to cool undertones. This foundation provides a powerful and pure coverage. They are proudly cruelty-free.
- An airbrush finish after applying this foundation will not weigh you down or dry your skin
- Free of gluten, fillers, animal by-products, parabens, synthetic toxins or preservatives
- Mineral Pigments present such as Iron Oxides, Micas and Titanium Oxide provides rich colors and opacity
- These are handcrafted in USA with utmost care
6. Smashbox Photo Filter Powder Foundation
In one portable compact, you get two filler effects with this Photo Filter Powder Foundation. It is very smooth on the skin and does not leave a cakey or greasy effect.
- The foundation is oil-free and hence is great for dry skin
- Comes with a double-sided sponge that helps you to create a customizable sheer or full finish
- The transparent particles of its Light Filter Technology diffuse light in various directions and leave the skin flawless
- Get the true color of pigment with this translucent and oil-free foundation
7. Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation
Kat Von D lists on one of the best cruelty-free products when it comes to their foundations. It is powerful and gives an amazing makeup look. When applied, it cannot be removed or budged easily.
- This foundation lasts for almost 24 hours and can be worn anytime of the day
- Gives a natural and matte finish
- It provides a flawless coverage and creates an even complexion
- It is sweat-proof and does not easily crease or give a cakey appearance
8. Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation
Get a matte coverage and a natural glowing radiant skin with this amazing Amazon Clay foundation. The powder is flake-free and hypoallergenic and easily will cover up all your imperfections like redness, scars and pores. The custom mesh applicator that comes along with it provides buildable coverage without showing lines of the face.
- Energize your skin with precious gemstone tourmaline and get a brighter, radiant look
- Anti-aging properties from the mineral-rich, Pearl powder and extract from Camellia leaf fights free radicals
- Apt for fair to light skin with light yellow and pink undertones
- Its dermatologist tested, vegan, waterproof, cruelty-free and stays for 12 hours
9. Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation
Camouflage your imperfections and get a velvet matte finish that will last for a long time with this Hourglass product. It is powerful and proudly cruelty-free and its revolutionary formula has shown a reduction in many imperfections.
- Its formula reduces pores, scars, redness and provides an even complexion that lasts really long
- Do not worry about pores clogging because the formula is non-comedogenic and is oil-free
- Does not dry skin even while absorbing oil and is lightweight
- Very safe for sensitive skin and other skin types as well
Cream-based foundations are moisturizing and emollient having more viscous consistency that stays as a dollop rather than gliding on to your skin. It comes in a compact format which makes it easier to carry. The texture of the cream foundation is very similar to concealers and one may need extra loose powder to set this foundation properly. If you have oily skin, then cream foundation might just be your jam.
1. e.l.f. Cosmetics HD Mattifying Cream Foundation
Get a flawless skin with this HD Mattifying Cream Foundation that lasts long and provides full coverage and an even skin tone. What is different you ask? It has a cream-to-powder formula that reduces lines of the skin and gives a matte finish that looks natural.
- Dry, normal, oily, sensitive or combination skin, this foundation is meant for all
- PETA certified that this product is 100% cruelty-free and vegan
- You can use it for touch-ups throughout the day and is travel friendly as it is a very sleek compact
- Comes with a blending sponge that makes the application really easy
- Free from phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol ethoxylates, triclosan, triclocarban, and hydroquinone
2. Cover FX Pressed Mineral Foundation
This all-natural, oil-absorbing product is talc-free and provides sheer to full buildable coverage. It’s great for skin types that are dry or sensitive. The Pressed Mineral Foundation is also cruelty-free and has no animal by-products.
- Conceals all imperfections easily because of its high pigment formula
- Blends extremely easily to the skin and absorbs oil easily as well
- Has no harmful chemicals which is why even an acne-prone skin can use it
- A little goes a long way for minimal coverage and is buildable if more is needed without forming any cakey appearance
3. Emani Deluxe Creme Foundation
Feel your skin younger than ever with this cream to powder foundation. A silky finish with high coverage is what you can expect from Emani Deluxe Creme Foundation. Also, they use all-natural ingredients and keep chemicals at bay.
- Get a high coverage with a blendability that is excellent
- Proudly free from parabens, silicons, gluten, cruelty and is 100% vegan certified
- Comes with a secret K-beauty ingredient, Peat that has anti-ageing properties and increases collagen production of skin
- Does not dry out and hydrates the skin
- Works for all skin types, even sensitive skin because of the presence of nutrients like Peptides, Gold and Peat
BB (Beauty or Blemish Balm) cream
Beauty or Blemish Balm, known as BB Cream is the product that helps to moisturize and protect your skin while correcting it and hiding skin imperfections. It basically is a moisturizer along with being a foundation. Not many shades are available in this category of foundations. BB creams also provide antioxidants and protect the skin from the sun.
1. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP BB Cream
Looking for the best “no makeup” look that takes care of your dry skin and is lightweight? Look no further, NYX Professional BB cream is here to your rescue. A light coverage is what you get with a silky satin finish with this cruelty-free BB Cream.
- Formulated with minerals, this cream is lightweight that helps the skin to hydrate and makes it smoother
- You can use it as a primer under the foundation that you wear or if you are going for a light color that its simple application will do the magic
- Can be applied to face directly using a brush or fingers
- Certified by PETA that its cruelty-free and has not been tested on any animals
2. Burt’s Bees Goodness Glow Tinted Moisturizer
Burt’s Bees natural products are always amazing because they are rich in antioxidants and easily moisturizes the skin. This tinted moisturizer gives a clean, natural finish that leaves a glowing skin.
- Achieve all-day moisture with a hint of ivory shade when you use this tinted moisturizer
- Nourishing vitamins and antioxidants that are all-natural are used to keep the skin’s moisture firm and give a healthy look
- It is non-greasy and is great for dry skin for its hydrating properties
- Free of parabens, petrolatum, SLS or phthalates and any other environmental aggressors
3. Physicians Formula Argan Wear Ultra-Nourishing BB Cream
We have learnt about the beautiful history of this brand in this article and have emphasized enough on how their products are made for sensitive skin. One can minimize the flaws of the skin with this BB cream’s weightless formula. Has an SPF 30 broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects the skin.
- Has the benefit of an all-in-one – foundation, oil treatment, moisturizer and SPF protection
- Presence of Argan Oil (liquid gold) increases the brightness of the skin along with its texture, elasticity and tone giving a youthful look
- Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin types, recommended by allergists and dermatologists
- Vanishes imperfections and flaws by smoothing skin texture without ever leaving a greasy feel or cakey finish
4. Cg Cln Matte Covergirl Clean Matte Bb Cream
This perfect BB cream is light and gives a smooth, non-greasy look easily. Many consumers describe it as a foundation, and not a BB cream or a tinted moisturizer as the properties behave like that of a foundation.
- Gives a matte finish for more than 8 hours of the day
- Controls oil and shine but does not come with an SPF, hence no protection from sun
- It also works great as a primer for that matte finish
- May need extra sunscreen and moisturizer for avoiding dry patches
5. Marcelle BB Cream Illuminator
Looking for an alternative to your foundation that will hydrate your skin? Marcelle BB Cream is the one to go for. It is a multi-tasking cream that makes your skin healthy and hydrated while diminishing imperfections on the skin.
- The self-adjusting pigments works so well that it could replace a foundation
- Gives a luminous skin because it is formulated with antioxidants plus natural chamomile & aloe
- The foundation, BB and CC creams are all fragrance-free and hypoallergenic
- Get long-term hydrating benefits and regenerate your skin with Marcelle BB cream
6. bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
This natural, cruelty-free tinted hydrating gel cream from bareMinerals gives a skin that looks and feels healthy. The coverage is super light but evens the tone of the skin very subtly giving a beautiful glow. It is a versatile cream that gives a dewy, radiant appearance.
- Smooth and sexy is the kind of skin when this cream is applied
- Does not cause breakouts and is safe for slightly sensitive skin
- Comes with hydrating benefits that nourishes and hydrates the skin
- Provides a sheer to medium coverage with yellow undertones as a lightweight foundation would do and the buttercream is just perfect
7. Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45
Dr. Jart+ Beauty Balm is meant for skin tones that are on the lighter side. This balm gives the appearance of perfect skin. The products of Dr. Jart+ are cruelty-free with no animal by-products.
- Protects your skin from sun with its SPF 45 and also protects other environmental aggressors
- It is perfect for all skin types, including sensitive skin as the ingredients moisturizes the skin
- Ingredients such as Bio-Peptide Complex: Provides antiaging properties, promotes natural collagen synthesis.
- Ingredients such as Arbutin: Brightens skin; evens skin tone. Adenosine: Improves elasticity and firms skin.
CC (Complexion Cream or Color Correcting Cream)
Complexion Cream or Color Correcting Cream is more or less an all in one cream and serves multiple purposes, pretty much like BB Cream. Although the major difference between these two creams would be that CC creams are tinted moisturizers that provide more coverage to hide skin imperfections like redness and spots.
1. Physicians Formula Super CC Color-Correction + Care CC Cream
This CC Cream is amazing in all aspects and its versatility ranges from anti-aging treatment, moisturizer, protection from sun and foundation. The cream is lightweight, ultra-blendable and improves skin imperfections and gives a smooth texture.
- Reduction of imperfections, redness and hydration is possible of its gentle formula
- Safe for sensitive skin and eyes and for all skin types, since it is hypoallergenic
- No harsh ingredients are used in their products
- Provides SPF protection and hydration and can be applied with brush, fingers or blender
2. SheaMoisture ALL IN ONE CC Cream SPF 15
Get a semi-matte finish that will correct, protect and hydrate your skin with this CC cream. Gives a buildable coverage and moisturizes the skin. It has versatile uses and is called an all-in-one colour-correcting cream.
- The ingredients such as Aloe, Shea Butter and antioxidant Vitamin E gives super moisturization by blending in well
- Protects from the sun with its SPF 15 protection
- Suitable for all skin types including sensitive and combination skin
- Cruelty-free and is also free from toxins, parabens, phthalates, DEA, mineral oil, petroleum, talc, pesticides
3. It Cosmetics CC+Illumination Cream
CC+ Illumination SPF 50+ is your best-selling, award-winning product. It provides a subtle touch of radiance and will give a glowing appearance without excessive shine or shimmer. This product has been developed with the help of plastic surgeons.
- The product is clinically tested and has been developed with the help of dermatologists and surgeons
- The brand makes cruelty-free products that are paraben-free as well
- It is an all-in-one cream that provides Anti-Aging Serum, Moisturizer, Foundation, Concealer and Sunscreen
- Ingredients consist of hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, niacin, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants and vitamins
Stick Foundations are a blessing as they are one of the easiest to use and provides more coverage. They are suitable for normal to dry skin and basically you get all the benefits of concealer in a tube. All these benefits in a tube make it travel friendly.
1. NYX Mineral Foundation Stick
The consistency of this Stick Foundation is lovely and the color is quite a hit with many users. The foundation melts into the skin easily without forming any creases and cakey appearances. But in case of dry skin, it would be advisable to use a primer along with it.
- Covers dark under-eye circles and provides a glow that will make you look younger
- Could be used a highlight for contouring
- Works best when set with a powder but easily covers up the redness and other imperfections of the skin
- They proudly are cruelty-free and no animal testing is done
2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Stick Foundation
The stick foundation from Anastasia Beverly Hills gives a lovely caramel latte contour when applied. It is a full-pigment cream foundation delivering coverage that is buildable and gives a natural matte finish rather than a shiny appearance.
- Coverage provided is buildable that you can customize from light to full
- Conceal, highlight or contour with this multitasking stick foundation
- There are 26 shades available for this particular foundation
- Is suitable for most skin types and covers every skin tone and undertone
3. W3LL PEOPLE – Natural Narcissist Foundation Stick
This mess-proof, feel-good creamy foundation melts easily into the skin and gives a glow that looks fresh and healthy. It is ideal for using it when you are travelling. For health and safety, it is EWG verified.
- Free of parabens, gluten, sulfates, synthetic fragrance, GMO, lead, mineral oil and phthalates
- Get a satin, silky, soft-focus finish which will give an even skin tone
- Premium natural ingredients give amazing performance
- Certified Organic, Non-Comedogenic, Chemical-Free and of course Cruelty-Free
4. Cover FX Cover Click Cream Foundation Stick
Cover FX is a cruelty-free brand that is very effective when it comes to concealing imperfections and flaws. Gives a look that will feel like it is your second skin. This foundation stick when applied lasts for a really long time.
- With 32% pigment, this creamy foundation is longwearing and effectively concealing
- The texture feels weightless and glides easily onto the skin while blending in smoothly
- Free of animal by-products or animal testing, 100% cruelty-free
- Find both foundation and concealer in this one stick
5. Au Naturale Zero Gravity C2P Foundation in Mallorca
Using Au Naturale cruelty-free creme foundation brush or just plain fingers, this foundation blends in so smoothly and easily. This brand provides you with a lot of shades but Mallorca is meant for medium skin tones with neutral to olive undertones.
- Feels like a nourishing cream when applied and finishes likes a weightless powder
- Proudly 100% natural and vegan and is free from animal by-products, gluten, nanoparticles and synthetic preservatives
- Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Candelilla Wax, Mineral Pigments, Lavender Oil are the natural ingredients
- They believe and are a part of #cleanbeautyrevolution
6. Smashbox Studio Skin Shaping Foundation Stick
A full-sized foundation on one side and a contour of soft shade on the other side is what comes with this product. Smashbox Studio Skin Shaping Foundation Stick is very easy to apply and can be even used when you are in your car.
- You can get a medium or a buildable coverage and customize it accordingly with this stick foundation
- Get a natural-looking finish that is not too shiny or shimmery
- Create a dimension with a perfectly coordinated shade using its soft contour side
- The texture of this foundation is thick which is why it conceals whatever is needed to concea
7. Hourglass Vanish Flash Highlighting Stick in Champagne Flash
Winner of Allure’s 2019 Best of Beauty Awards for Stick Highlighter, this stick gives you a seamless and lustrous highlight that would make every head turn. The glow it gives is unparalleled and the lustre is long-wearing.
- Get a virtually perfect highlight with its soft-focus technology that creates a flash of light on the skin
- You will not feel any weight on the skin because of its formula with hollow microspheres
- Effortless blendability and long-wearing lustre with this sleek, portable stick anytime and anywhere
- Free of gluten, sulfates, parabens, talc, phthalates, GMO and animal testing
8. Tarte Clay Stick Foundation Medium Beige
A natural foundation with a powder-to-liquid formula that is buildable and can be customized is what Tarte Clay Stick Foundation is. The colour of this foundation is medium beige.
- Get a medium-to-full coverage and a natural finish
- Keep your shine and cakey free appearance with microencapsulated powders that burst with your body heat
- No harsh chemicals such as talc, gluten, sulfates or parabens give a guilt-free blend in your buildable, creamy coverage
- Darker shades can be used to highlight and contour and it can also be used on the go as a spot concealer or wear in lighter
These foundations provide sheer, moderate coverage that looks quite natural. They are currently one of the biggest beauty trends in the market. They are very low in viscosity and give the skin a beautiful, velvety finish without looking like makeup.
1. e.l.f. Cosmetics, Beautifully Bare Foundation Serum
A shade-Medium that matches and enhances your complexion is what this foundation from e.l.f will provide you. The finish is natural and beautiful that provides radiance to the skin. For a lot of people, touch-ups are not required with this foundation.
- Minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines with its luminous and dewy finish
- Look as if you are barely wearing any makeup with its Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 25 formula
- Brighten, restore, nourish and protect the skin with Vitamin A, C, & E, Grape Seed Oil, Pomegranate Oil, and Goji Berry present
- Works great for oily skin types
2. Covergirl Simply Ageless Foundation Makeup
The Covergirl Simply Ageless foundation goes on easily and very evenly. It covers up blemishes and keeps a clear and even tone when applied. It is well suited for sensitive and other skin types.
- Works great on allergic, mature and sensitive skin without any worries
- Gives an even coverage to even older skin types
- Stays put all day for most part and you can wash it easily off at night
- A foundation, moisturizer and sunscreen mixed into one formula to give you a matted, soft and protected feel.
3. bareMinerals BARESKIN Kit Perfecting Face Brush and Pure Brightening Serum Foundation
A powerful mineral foundation that is designed to feel weightless and look flawless. It is a skin brightening serum that is packed with natural ingredients. All of this goodness is just part of a liquid foundation that provides customizable coverage by the drop with a natural finish.
- Power of vitamin C brightens the skin and lilac plant stem cells protect antioxidants, which defends environmental stressors
- Customize your coverage for a perfectly seamless application
- The SPF 20 protects the skin against sun
- The serum gives you a healthy-looking skin and a balanced skin tone
4. Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation
A skin-perfecting serum that will work for your benefit all year round is all you need. Josie Maran Argan Serum Foundation is lightweight and matches your skin tone like a chameleon.
- Get dry patches hydrated, fix and diminish wrinkles and fine lines and strengthen your skin
- Formulated with chameleon pigments, this foundation instantly adjusts to match your unique and changing skin tone
- Vegan and cruelty-free and is also free from parabens, sulfate, gluten, synthetic fragrance, phthalates, mineral oil
- Organic Argan Oil infused formula b
5. It Cosmetics Confidence in a Compact
IT cosmetics are proudly cruelty-free and no animal testing is done. As the name suggests, you will find confidence in this compact. It’s mainly for fair skin tones.
- It is a long wearing, all day surviving foundation
- Gives a minty feeling and provides full and buildable coverage
- Covers redness, brown spots, scars, and other imperfections that you may not be proud of displaying
- The temperature is cool and gives a very fresh feeling
The horrifying stories of breakouts, jawline streaks, allergies, foundation caked into fine lines and wrinkles are something we might have experienced, or definitely heard of. With so many foundations in the market, it may seem like a scary territory to explore but if the right choices are made with informed decisions then the experience may not be all that bad. So what do you need to consider before you buy the best cruelty-free foundations available?
1. Skin type
Two different colors is what your skin is made of: the skin’s surface color and its undertones. Ivory, light, tan would be your skin’s surface color whereas the undertone which are of three different types:
Cool – pink, red, or bluish undertones
Warm – yellow, peachy, or golden undertones
Neutral – a mix of warm and cool undertones
The key to a flawless face with the right foundation is to know your skin type and finding the product that’s best for your skin.
How much of your skin do you want to show? Basically how much coverage do you want? It varies from sheer, medium to full and you can choose your foundation based on what kind of look you are going for. For a no-makeup look, opt for a sheer foundation and if you want to hide out all imperfections or go for a heavy makeup look, then go for full coverage. Most foundations these days are buildable and you can customize accordingly.
3. Skin Concern
It is best to read about what product you are planning to put your money on as you would be applying it to the most sensitive part of your body, your face. If you have skin concerns or sensitive skin, go for products that are non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, organic or natural, or are dermatologist tested. Always start with a patch test when trying a new product.
4. Foundation texture
There are different textures that work for different purposes, for different skin types such as:
BB cream – a fancy name for a tinted moisturizer, good for dry skin.
Liquid foundation – best for dry skin or combination skin
Cream foundation – easy to build up coverage with cream foundation, go from super transparent to a heavy coverage by layering
Powder foundation – ideal for touch-ups during the day; not ideal for dry skin
Cushion foundation as BB creams – liquid formula housed in a compact; best for dry to normal skin
It will be your money that you would be spending so it is best to be wise while choosing the best cruelty-free foundations that would make your skin type feel good. Compromising on the quality is a big no, but also burning a hole in your pocket is not a good idea. Choose from the cruelty-free products that we have listed here, with respect to your skin type and skin concerns and be sure of getting the best of the lot without spending a fortune.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to The Best Cruelty-Free Foundations
1. How to apply the foundation?
Moisturize the skin for 5-10 minutes before applying it. Primer may also help the foundation to stick to. Build by applying a thin layer first and then blend it in your ears and neck. Always check the face in natural light after applying.
2. What does cruelty-free mean?
No animal testing or animal by-products used in the products is what cruelty-free means. The products should not have been tested on animals and no animals should have been hurt while the product was produced.
3. What makeup brands are cruelty-free?
Many brands these days are going cruelty-free. Some of the famous ones are – e.l.f, Kat Von D, Physician’s Formula, NYX Professionals, bareMinerals, Urban Decay, IT Cosmetics, Hourglass Vanish, Cover FX, Wet n Wild, Emani, W3LL People, Au Naturale, Catrice etc
4. Which are the different types of the foundations?
BB creams, CC creams, Liquid foundations, Serum Foundations, Powder Foundations, Stick Foundations, Mousse Foundations are some of the different foundations.
5. How to choose a Foundation according to the skin type?
Know your skin’s surface color and the undertone of the skin. Also according to the texture of the foundation, make a choice that would suit your skin.
6. How to check if your foundation is cruelty-free or not?
Read the ingredients, check what the makeup kit says. You can go through our own list that has been listed above or check PETA or Leaping Bunny. In case you do not find a cruelty free product, opt for an alternative as there are many trying to make that conscious effort.
7. What is the difference between liquid foundation and powder foundation?
The liquid foundation works great for a person with dry skin as it moisturizes the skin better whereas Powder foundation would work wonders for oily skin as the powder absorbs oil and diminishes the imperfections.
8. What is the difference between BB and CC creams?
BB (Beauty and Blemishes) creams are used to beautify the skin by covering lightly the imperfections. The coverage is lighter and they provide moisturizing properties and SPF protection. CC(colour correcting) creams give a higher coverage and are buildable, hence concealing flaws or spots completely.
You want to hide your flaws and there is nothing wrong in it, but it should be done with the right kind of foundation. Now that you have made the conscious choice of going cruelty-free in choosing your products, you also now have the right information to choose the quality product that would match your skin type and skin tone. Foundations also act as a pollution barrier other than just doing what it does. Such a win-win situation. Do not be too late in picking the right gloss bottle, or compact or stick foundation or whatever works for you, and feel the confidence radiate from your body once you start using a foundation on a daily basis. The best thing being, you can now also apply these foundations on the go without any hassle.