Keratosis Pilaris, commonly known as “chicken skin” is a skin condition that has been seen in children, but is not a rare sight with adults as well. Rough patches on dry skin with little red bumps are how it appears, giving a ‘sandpaper’ look which could be quite unsightly. While it does not hurt or itch, most people do want to get rid of it and look for the best keratosis pilaris treatment. After all, we all want skin that looks healthy and nourished.
Keratosis Pilaris occurs mainly because of the build-up of Keratin, which is the protective protein for our skin. Keratin saves the skin from infections, but when there is an excessive build-up, the hair follicles do not open.
This condition may not be completely cured but can be reduced drastically by using the right kind of products. One of the best ways to alleviate keratosis is by keeping the skin moisturized. Also, using the right body wash will not only exfoliate or moisturize the skin but will also unclog the plugged hair follicles. Here is your guide to best body wash for keratosis pilaris which will help you get rid of those red bumpy patches and give you healthy skin.
10 Best Body Washes for Keratosis Pilaris
1. Keratone KP Body Wash
Glycolic Acid is one of the key ingredients to look out for. It helps in exfoliating skin and diminishes keratosis pilaris bumps and redness. The presence of AHA may increase sun sensitivity on the skin which is why it is best to use sunscreen and limit exposure to sun while you are using this product. Overall, it’s indeed good body wash for keratosis pilaris.
- 10% Glycolic Acid reduces the irritation and infiltrates into the depth of hair follicle for exfoliation of the skin
- Apricot Kernel Oil, Organic Aloe, Jojoba Oil are the organic ingredients used instead of harsh chemicals
- Natural ingredients give a gentle fragrance that is smooth on the skin
2. Touch Keratosis Pilaris & Acne Exfoliating Body Wash Cleanser
High-quality ingredients, when combined with science, gives your skin the right treatment that it deserves. Touch is a brand that focuses on pH, actives, and stability and is extremely transparent about its ingredients. It is cruelty-free and has an FDA registered lab in Florida.
- 15% Glycolic Acid (AHA) and 2% Salicylic Acid (BHA) works on a dry skin getting rid of KP as well as Acne
- AHA and BHA goes deep into skin pores and hair follicles reducing redness and bumpy surface
- Ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and Gotu Kola moisturizes and soothes the skin
- Surfactants, humectants, and Hyaluronic Acid protects the skin from drying up
- Expert cosmetic scientists recommend this for KP, Acne, Uneven Skin Tone, Hyperpigmentation, Dull Skin
3. ReTone Keratosis Pilaris Exfoliating Body Cleanser Wash for KP treatment
If your skin is dry, and growth of dead flaky skin is overpouring because of keratosis pilaris then this would be a better placement for your regular body wash. ReTone Cleanser rejuvenates the skin by unplugging the follicles of the skin. For those searching for the body wash for chicken skin can opt for this
- Made of Glycolic Acid, this cleanser flakes off the dead dermis that plugs the follicles on the skin
- When the bumpy dry skin is removed, the rejuvenation process of the skin starts
- Free of salicylic acid, paraben, retinoid, and phthalate
4. DermaHarmony 10% Sulfur 3% Salicylic Acid Bar Soap
Problematic skin will not be a problem anymore when you start using DermaHarmony soap for keratosis pilaris, acne, blackheads, whiteheads, and oily skin. An everyday use soap that is safe for adults as well as for children.
- It is made of 10% Sulfur and 3% Salicylic Acid which heals skin effectively
- Blackheads, Body Acne, Intertrigo, Clogged Pores, Fungus, Rosacea are some of the problems that are reduced
- Daily application gives the best result but in case of excessive drying of the skin, refrain from using it daily
- Indeed the best soap for keratosis pilaris
5. Glytone KP Kit Keratosis Pilaris
By now we understand that Glycolic Acid is one of the best ingredients to look out for when we are suffering from Keratosis Pilaris. This KP kit which includes Body Lotion and Exfoliating Body Wash gets rid of the rough, uneven skin in two steps.
- The roughness of KP can be reduced with lathering up the body wash on affected areas of the skin
- Following it with the body lotion helps in moisturizing and getting a supple smooth skin
- It is not recommended for face, as the skin is a lot more sensitive
- Glycolic Acid and Shea Butter hydrate the skin, exfoliates dead skin cells and retexturizes the skin
6. KP Elements Keratosis Pilaris Body Scrub & Exfoliating Skin Cream
The magic of Glycolic Acid can be found in KP Elements as well which will treat the red bumps on your thighs and arms. Glycolic Acid gets rid of excessive Keratin in the body that blocks our pores. If you’re someone who like Scrub over lotion and soap then this one is definitely the best body scrub for keratosis pilaris which is highly recommended by dermatologists as well.
- Glycolic acid, made of milk and sugarcane unblocks the pores which reduce bumpiness
- Avocado Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Chamomile, Rose Hip Oil, Borage Seed Oil, and Vitamin C and E are the natural ingredients present
- KP Elements will moisturize your skin without leaving any residue
- In case of not so severe KP, you will see results in a week’s time
7. Glytone Exfoliating Body Wash with Glycolic Acid
This body wash gives a rich lather and exfoliates the skin intensely by removing all dead skin cells. It is concentrated with Glycolic Acid which smoothens the bumps and dry patches.
- 8.8% of Glycolic Acid provides rapid and visible results on the irritated skin
- Exfoliating Body Wash and Body Lotion is the 2-step kit that is also available
- PFAV system of Glycolic Acid determines the strength and activity of this ingredient
8. MediViz Eczema Body Wash Soap Therapy
MediViz Eczema body wash is gentle and perfect for dry skin. These are handmade body wash soap which is free from chemicals and fragrances that could irritate the skin. It is a 100% natural therapy bar that relieves you from many unwanted skin conditions. One of the best soap for keratosis pilaris.
- Natural ingredients like Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter moisturizes, nourishes and protects dry skin
- The body’s moisture is kept intact by using hand-milled oats
- !00% vegan, cruelty-free and is eco-friendly
- Eczema skin, Psoriasis, Dry Skin and Dermatitis can be reduced using this product
9. Mederma AG Moisturizing Body Cleanser
If you are looking for an all-over body cleanser that is non-comedogenic and causes the least amount of irritation, then this is the cleanser you are looking for. Recommended by dermatologists, Mederma cleanser provides a soothing experience for a dry skin that suffers from KP.
- It is free from added fragrances and perfumes
- Hypoallergenic and made from pH-balanced, gentle Glycolic Acid
- One of the best exfoliating cleansers that relax the dry skin and maintains the moisture balance of the skin
10. CLn BodyWash – Moisturizing Body Wash
Find an impactful alternative to antibiotics and steroids for Eczema, Infection, Dermatitis, Folliculitis, and Acne with this body wash which will show you results in 2 weeks. It is safe for children as well as adults as this body wash is designed by dermatologists.
- Designed by dermatologists, the non-drying formula reduces flakiness and redness of the skin caused by Eczema
- Preserved with sodium hypochlorite, the cleanser is strong yet gentle
- It can be used all over the body, daily, for a long period of time
- Cruelty-free, free of antibiotics, parabens, fragrances, and triclosan
Also check: Best Body Wash for Sensitive Skin in 2020
Buyers’ Guide to the Best Body Wash for Keratosis Pilaris
Although Keratosis Pilaris doesn’t cause pain, it still irritates the skin and makes it look unhealthy. To keep the skin clear and to reduce the roughness, there are precautions that one can take, by keeping the skin moisturized and unclogging follicles of the skin. Other than using some of the best body washes and soaps for Keratosis Pilaris mentioned here, you can also follow some of these precautious measures –
1. Exfoliating Ingredients – Glycolic, Salicylic Acid or Lactic
Using body washes made of these ingredients usually help in unclogging pores and removes dead skin easily, which reduces the inflammation and redness of Keratosis Pilaris. These ingredients exfoliate the skin gently.
2. Soft Loofah or Mitt, Change Often
Use loofah or washcloth which is soft on the skin. Instead of scrubbing it hard on the skin, apply soap gently. Also, change the loofah often to avoid harboring bacteria.
3. Protect your skin from Sun
Exfoliation makes the skin more sensitive, particularly when you are using ingredients like glycolic or salicylic acid. Apply sunscreen before stepping out and stay away from sunburn as much as you can.
4. Home Remedies
Many home remedies can help your skin get better like warm baths, applying coconut oil because it has anti-inflammatory properties, using apple cider vinegar as it maintains pH level and unclogs pores; humidifiers restore moisture in the skin and avoiding tight clothing will also help.
You may like: Best Body Lotion for Crepey Skin
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Best Body Wash for Keratosis Pilaris
1. How do we know which ingredient is safe for our sensitive skin?
Some of the cleansers with glycolic or salicylic acid may cause a tingling sensation, which is normal. If the sensation is excessive, or you experience irritation, then change cleanser immediately.
2. Are these body washes safe for children?
The bottles come with instructions and mentions if it is child-friendly or not. Not all products are safe for children, so ensure you read the description carefully and follow all instructions.
3. What are the ways to reduce keratosis pilaris?
With some of the best body washes and soaps for keratosis pilaris available in the market, moisturize your skin, avoid sunburn, use sunscreen, use a soft loofah and keep changing it.
4. Are there natural ingredients that could help reduce Keratosis Pilaris?
Soaps or cleansers made with coconut oil, jojoba oil, honey, lavender oil, shea butter, apple cider vinegar, oatmeal, etc helps. Also, avoiding anti-inflammatory food in your diet works.
5. How soon will I see the results of these products?
Keratosis Pilaris takes time to reduce or may not be removed at all. The symptoms can be reduced easily when instructions are followed daily and skincare is priority number one.
Keratosis Pilaris may not be healed completely with immediate effect, but it can slowly fade away with time by pursuing the best keratosis pilaris treatment. You need to have patience and take care of that skin. Along with patience you also have to make sure your skin stays hydrated and moisturized to prevent irritation. Hopefully, some of the best body washes for keratosis pilaris mentioned above help you find relief.